Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

7.3 or 6.0?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
My mom and dad dropped a bomb on me and said find us a Ex! they gave me a budget number and a kick in the ass..

So i've found two really nice ones.
a 01 4x4 with a 7.3 under 60K on the clock and in showroom floor condition.
And a 05 under 60K with a 6.0..
I've heard allot people say the 7.3 was a much better oil burn then the 6.0..
What do guys have to say about these engines, which one is better and more reliable?

Last edited:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
From guys I know that have owned them, and not to mention what I have read, I'd steer clear of the first two years of the 6.0.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Can't offer any experiences that are particularly relevant, and I'll skip my biases and opinions.

But here's a couple questions to at least think about:
-Do they have the same transmission? If not, is one significantly better than the other?

-Miles are a factor, but so can years be. An '01 is getting old enough for time-related issues to possibly begin to show up. Probably drying out of rubber parts more than rusting, in your area.

-Miles are a factor, but so can years be. An '01 is getting old enough for time-related issues to possibly begin to show up. Probably drying out of rubber parts more than rusting, in your area.

...I'd steer clear of the first two years of the 6.0.

ditto on both of those - tough call.

one is newer, which is nice, but also has a newer/untested engine. when i worked at bobcat, the toocat just came out (doesn't matter what it is). i wanted my parents to get one really bad and all the mechanics said "don't get something the first couple models, let everything get ironed out". I apply that advice to a lot of stuff

so...i have no advice and let a 6.0/7.3 expert tell you what to do

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I had a 6.0 without a problem AND loved it.

My opinion would be the 6.0. I bet you would find a LOT more happy owners then you ever see on the boards.

6.0 came out in 03

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
i see both in my job. the 7.3 is far more reliable within less stuff to brake, they are cheaper to work on, and they are very tuner friendly.

the 6.0 is a great short block, can be a powerhouse, can be very expensive to work on, might not be tuner friendly.

if you like your parents and you have to listen to them gripe if they do, go with the 73, you will be glad you did.

platinum01

Missouri Chapter member
From guys I know that have owned them, and not to mention what I have read, I'd steer clear of the first two years of the 6.0.
i agree they had big problems. i have a 7.3l with no intention of having a 6l

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have had a 7.3 in a 97,99,2000 and 2002 truck...the only issue was the 2002 problems with turbo and injectors. (all trucks were new). The 05 6.0 has been problem free with the exception of the FICM which went out once. Personally I would go with the 6.0.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
both have their issues... the 7.3 were great engines and is pretty reliable... but the 6.0 had the better transmissions... 6.0's do have their flaws engine wise but they can be fixed and become reliable beast.. they can be tuned quite easily too and can run as ive seen some put it "like a raped ape"... but you also have to do you homework on the upgrades you do to them too... not all the upgrades ppl will tell you to do will help the 6.0.. some instances will actually hurt them faster than leaving them stock.

now dont get me wrong there are some 6.0's out there running fully stock with well over 100K miles on them and no issues.. but there are also quite a few with the issues.

but like i said.. both have their inherent issues with them.. just depends which you would more prefer..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Holy thread mining Batman!

:prod:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
lol didnt realize the thread age.. it popped up in my new posts feed...

Ford Truck Articles