Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

78' Tranny question

I am currently in the market for a 77-79 f-250, looking for a little of the ole days nostalgia.

I am looking at a 78' with a C6 and floor shifter. Did Ford ever have a floor shifter auto in the 70's? I have never seen one. I want a manual but thought this one have been converted and I could go back to manual. The owner is telling me its stock.

Thanks!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
There was never a C6 floor shift option, but there are plenty of aftermarket companies that offer the parts.

Thank you for the quick response. That's what I thought. So do you think this was a manual converted to a C6? seems senseless to me otherwise. I can only imagine how awkward it would be to shift. This person tells me that his last 3 have been this way.

Fellro

Staff member
Could have been converted due to the column issues that the shifters of that age had. Don't remember if they resolved them by 78, but even if they did some would change to a floor shifter just because they wanted to.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Thank you for the quick response. That's what I thought. So do you think this was a manual converted to a C6? seems senseless to me otherwise. I can only imagine how awkward it would be to shift. This person tells me that his last 3 have been this way.
TRANS code stamped on the 2nd line of the Warranty Plate, that is riveted to the left door face below the latch.

If the code is G = A/T; If it's C = 3 on the tree M/T; If it's A = New Process 435 4 speed; if it's F = Warner T-18 4 speed.

Ford Truck Articles