Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Front wheel noise

New to FTF, also new to working on Fords. I have an issue that's driving me crazy that I can't seem to figure out. I have a rotational metal on metal sound from my front wheel. At first if was under 40mph but now is audible at highway speeds. Started off here and there, goes away after I do something to the front but quickly comes back. Didn't do this originally but now does-makes noise going straight, stops for a second if I jerk the wheel left, if it isn't making the noise while going straight will start if I turn the wheel to the right. Sounds like brake pad wear indicators but isn't. Here is a list of what I've done so far and the after result-(truck is an 08 F250 xlt 2wd 5.4l)

1-When the noise started I jacked up the truck and wiggled the wheels. The right one moved when I did the 12 and 6 o'clock. Replaced both inner and outer wheel bearings and races. Noise went away for a couple miles but I didn't make it around the block before it started again.
2- after first test drive for the right side I started to replace the left wheel bearings. The rotor and pad had some deep grooves in them so I ordered new rotors and pads.
3- installed new rotors and pads and left inner and outer wheel bearings. on the test drive the noise was instant and louder did less then 3 miles. When I got back the right side wheel was hotter then the left. Jacked it up and the rotor seemed to be dragging. so I rebuilt the seals and cleaned the pistons of any corrosion(common problem in the PNW). The caliper didn't loosen up much after bleeding the breaks.
4-installed a new caliper, bracket, and rubber brake line. Wheel was quiet for a few trips to the store but started up again.
5- Took the wheel off and inspected for rocks, bent dust shield, anything. Nothing I could see.
6-Replaced the pad hardware, again, didn't install the wear indicators, pushed the dust shield back to make sure it wasn't coming in contact. quiet for a couple miles and came back.

On Monday I went on a 120 mile drive and the noise was audible below 40 mph but not at 60 and above. Yesterday was audible at all speeds on and off but mostly on. Before I give up and loose a bunch of money taking it to a shop or crooked dealer is there any other ideas of what I could look at?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
im curious... what material pads are you using on the brakes???

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
get rid of those.... use semi-metalics... Ceramics were never meant to be used on these HD trucks... the heat the braking system generates kills them... theyre meant for lighter vehicles that do not generate alot of heat... fine on vehicles weighing in the vicinity of 3000lbs and less... bad for vehicles weighing 7000lbs +... I tried that with my SD and almost ended up in 3 different accidents because the truck wouldnt STOP!!!!... put on the semi-metallics not only did my grinding braking noise quit.. but the truck stopped on a dime again like it did before i put the ceramics on it...

also pay close attention to the pads... some aftermarkets do have pads that are specific inner and outers because of where they place the alignment pins on the pad backings (especially since theyre made to be universal)... im sure you looked.. but never hurts to double check.. its easy to miss... (i know i have in the past)... if your pads are on backwards and are indeed dragging theyll give you the grinding noise even when your brakes are not applied like mine did when they were applied...

Was your noise with the ceramics instantaneous when you put them on new or did it take a while? This is making the noise either right away or within 10-20 miles of light driving(no towing or hauling on a country road and country highway so no hard breaking).

The ones I got are identical without a specific inner and outer. I've not used these specific brand of ceramic pads before but I had some on my 2500 suburban that I towed regularly with for 60,000 miles without issue or noise. The curb weight on that was around 5800 lbs not including gas or trailer

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Sparky is correct about the pads not being side to side. The one with the wear "scrubber " has to be on the inside wheel. If not it will drag and cause the issue you are talking about. Also correct about the ceramic pad, especially if on a slotted rotor{ ask me how I know this, LOL} Make sure to grease the slides while you are in there each time you pull the calipers.

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Was your noise with the ceramics instantaneous when you put them on new or did it take a while? This is making the noise either right away or within 10-20 miles of light driving(no towing or hauling on a country road and country highway so no hard breaking).

The ones I got are identical without a specific inner and outer. I've not used these specific brand of ceramic pads before but I had some on my 2500 suburban that I towed regularly with for 60,000 miles without issue or noise. The curb weight on that was around 5800 lbs not including gas or trailer

it was quiet till they "warmed up"... after that it sounded like i had rocks grinding on the rotors... usually after a couple times of putting on the brakes itd start every time... once it started id have the no braking feel to it.. i could literally stand on the pedal trying to stop the truck and would just make me think i could jump outta the truck and use my feet to get it to stop better... it was literally a night and day difference on them... I spent a ton of money trying to solve the problem thinking it was elsewhere before i finally ditched the pads...

when i was talking to the guy at the parts store afterwards they said that was a big reason they recommended against ceramics on HD trucks... theyre just not made for it..

Ford Truck Articles