Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Replace 223 in f100 with what?

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. We are rebuilding my wife's 1961 F100 step side. The old 223 has a crack in first cylinder and though I'd replace with a 6 cylinder crate engine. I could use all the advice I can get. Been driving Fords all my life!

blacksnapon

Staff member
That vehicle would be one to make everything correct. I'd go back with another 223.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Well, a dream swap would be an Aussie I-6; BUT, I'd go with a 300-6 if you want to stay with a sixer...

Pretty much would be easiest to find a doner to have everything, IMHO.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I agree with Blacksnapon, especially if you're doing a restoration, and staying with the 223, especially if that truck came with that engine originally, so in my humble opinion, you should find another 223, so that truck will be era correct, with the correct engine for the 1961 model year.. Hopefully you'll find this helpful to you. smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

Thanks for the advice. I live in Michigan...any advice on where I might start a search for a 223 block? I do appreciate your responses!

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. We are rebuilding my wife's 1961 F100 step side. [confused]

The old 223 has a crack in first cylinder and though I'd replace with a 6 cylinder crate engine. I could use all the advice I can get. Been driving Fords all my life!
Welcome to FTF

Ford = Flareside, a stepside is a Chevrolet. :(

IMO, find another 223 which was introduced in 1954, used thru 1964.

Ford changed the 223's head design in 1960. The valve cover is retained to the block with 8 bolts.

1954/59 223 valve cover is retained to the head with 2 studs/acorn nuts that poke thru the center of the cover.

The 240 & 300 I-6's were introduced in 1965, mount completely different than the 223 I-6 used previously.

Last edited:
Hi All,
To rebuild my 1661 F110 223 engine I need a new block. One is available but is described this way:

"original Block out of a 59 Ford Fairlane with a 223 6cyl Parts book shows it will fit: 1959-1960 Edsel with a 223, 1954 through 1960 Ford cars and Pickups with a 223"

Will this work using the head and other parts from our 1961 F100 223?
Thanks in advance of your advice.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
To rebuild my 1961 F110 223 engine I need a new block. One is available but is described this way:

"original Block out of a 59 Ford Fairlane with a 223 6cyl Parts book shows it will fit: 1959-1960 Edsel with a 223, 1954 through 1960 Ford cars and Pickups with a 223"

Will this work using the head and other parts from our 1961 F100 223?
The car engine...mounts completely different than the trucks.

So, it won't work without making a gazillion modifications that include changing the output shaft and extension housing from the car to the truck transmission.

Cars have R/L front motor mounts and a flange on the trans' extension housing that the rear mount attaches to, then it attaches to the cross member.

Trucks have a L shaped bracket that bolts to the front of the engine. Uses one "donut" shaped insulator above, one below the cross member.

Bolt passes thru the L shaped bracket from the top, then thru the upper donut, thru the cross member, thru the lower donut. Nut/washer secures in place.

The truck bell housing has 2 "ears" on it. There are 4 donut insulators, two below the cross member, two above the cross member below the ears.

R/L bolts pass thru the lower donuts, thru the cross member, thru the upper donuts, thru the ears. Nuts and washers secure the parts in place.

btw: I cannot get Ford truck parts catalog pics to work (by Manage Attachments) on this site, why I dunno...they work fine elsewhere. :rotz:

So email me at [email protected] and I'll send you the pics in return.

Last edited:
Wally48-Not to tell you what to do, but if cost is a consideration, just the machine work on a 223 can cost more than a more modern V-8 swap. It might behoove you if you are not a traditionalist to swap to a newer engine, or find a quality donor vehicle to change over to a different engine. In Colorado the estimate for rebuilding the head on a 223 was about 1200.00

Ford Truck Articles