Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2008 Escape

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
hmm... it's better, but still is that awkward stage between a mini van and SUV. Kinda like 7th grade, you know, where you're chubby, but haven't hit the growth spurt yet, and your voice is going up and down.

Ryan

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
They r nice no MPG but nice. Guy atwork has 1 only gets 18 MPG on a good day and he is a calm driver. And no cargo room behind rear seat. they ride ok

F150

easy
The little woman has one. I think they are more "truck looking" for 2008, with the monochromatic bumpers and fenders, unlike the previous years with the black plastic trim. And yeah, it's a little small for my taste, but good for her small stature. It has good visability and "intelligent" four wheel drive, making her feel safer than in a car.

193906.jpg

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
They look good, and for the most part are problem free. I recomend them to people all the time who don't want a large SUV.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I know it's a little late to be commenting on this post (they already came out!) but I think they're good looking. No I wouldn't buy one because I'm a truck guy, but I would mind having one in the family to scoot around in :)

its a great daily driver for a lady. Looks pretty nice too. is it really that much smaller than an explorer? seems like about the same size to me.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I saw one the other day parked next to a late 90's Explorer in a driveway. It was a huge surprise- they're actually the same size. Noticed the same thing about the new Jeep Liberty- same size (and style) as the old Cherokee.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You know what's really shocking? Park a Subaru Forester next to a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Especially when you've put more than a few miles on both. Subaru drives like it's half the size of the Jeep.

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Yep- then drive a Forester and an Outback. The Outback drives like it's twice the vehicle, but they're fundamentally the same size and share a powertrain (base versions).

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Mom wanted a Forester, I persuaded her that she should at least drive an Outback first.

It was nicer, but at the same time, I didn't like it as well (neither did she). Hard to put my finger on what it was, but I preferred the less-nice Forester.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
But the seats/pedals are great for smaller people.

Mom's Explorer's seat hurt her back so bad she had trouble driving it more than a couple hours when she first got it. Ended up having to get lift blocks under the back of the driver's seat, and pedal-extender blocks (which meant it hurt MY back to drive it, but I toughed it out. 800 mile days left me barely able to stand, even at 17, though).

I wouldn't buy one, but they've got their advantages- manual trans, decent fuel use, awesome in snow. Drive nice enough that you can run 95 down the interstate with your mother in the car and not hear about it...

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Out here Soobarus outsell Chevies and Ford's in passenger cars- they're generic (we owned three of them years ago). The largest Soobie dealership in the US is across town.

What's this manual transmission benefit? I haven't seen a hand-rowed Subaru in years. They still make 'em?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
What's this manual transmission benefit? I haven't seen a hand-rowed Subaru in years. They still make 'em?

Believe it or not, all the Subaru models but one were still available with manuals when Mom was shopping in '05, though not in all trim levels. And most dealers even had one or two on their lots. Got her top choice color off a lot within 100 miles, I believe.

The Explorer was an auto, the first one she owned. When it came time to replace it, a manual gearbox was one of her top priorities. Right after a seat that didn't hurt her back.

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Funny- I'm working a promo with Chevy that involves 50 extra Cobalts, HHR's, and Aveos (that's 150 total...)
th_bigwillie.gif

Anyways, I took 95% of the Aveo's as manuals, and about a third of the Cobalts and HHR's. My poor dealer was going nutz- he's worried we'll have too many stick's on the lot. I'm not- the auto is $1,000 and I'm going for price points. With all the visible (and invisible) loot, I'm going to be firmly in KIA territory.

. . . . i got a buddy with the "Hybrid" version of this Escape and i'm trying to get him to come to this forum & join membership & all; just wondering if this IS the correct Forum/Thread here for him to pop into???? OR is their another one for here i don't know of yet????
....just talk'd with him and he's just gettin around the 1000 mile's on the vehicle and so far he's stating for getting 29 miles per gal. . . . . . now he's going to try and get some mpg for the freeway driving and all........Manual states like about's until the 1000 mile mark, he need's to just proceed into the " city_like" driving for break in and get the engine to get it's heat/temp break in/expansion; { aka, like the stop & go driving around town & all }...... he says: "you can still see thru the oil on the dip stick, hasn't change'd color of yet"............

mr. Charles

I have a 2007 Hybrid and getting a 32 to 33 mpg. I had it up to 34+ but I think people behind me were getting pissed. :)

Winter time driving (Pacific NW) was about 27 to 29 mpg.

Had a big Dodge, traded it in for the Escape. We miss the big truck but not the gas bills.

Ford Truck Articles