Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2013 Ford Escape

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Styling is a bit different than the outgoing model:

2013-ford-escape-front-right-view.jpg

Motor Trend article here

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I kinda like it... its only expexted with the small chassis developments from Ford lately.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm a bit mystified by the triangular rear-most pillar that seems to have become standard equipment on mini-SUVs in recent years.

It was a unique touch when Nissan introduced it, but I never actually LIKED it, and now everybody and his brother is copying it.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Are you talking about the ice cream cone shaped back sides on all new vehicles?

That shape is the shape that all the simulation wind tunnel computers spit out when they type in their desired drag #'s for fuel mileage. It makes it really boring.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm talking about the window behind the back door. If you're looking at the car from the side, the glass is way wider on top than on the bottom.

I suppose glass and painted steel have slightly different coefficients of friction, but I think it's a stying thing.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I always read that the ideal aerodynamic shape was like an ice cream cone. The ice cream portion being the front, and the pointy end being the back. All the new cars droop off in the back and it gets rid of a lot of the drag on the back side of the vehicle. Styling/aero.

My theory is that it is the style only because the wind tunnel computers started spitting that general shape out. That's why the prius looks like an egg/ice cream cone.

Ryan

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Styling is a bit different than the outgoing model:
The entire vehicle is different, as it's no longer a rebadged Mazda Tribute.

It's now built on the same platform as the Edge and etc.

Since FoMoCo has divested itself of Mazda (now only owns 3% instead of the 33% it once owned), a new platform will also be necessary for the next Fusion/rebadged Lincoln versions.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Saw this at the auto show in SF last night... I don't like it... The front is decent but the back is terrible.

On the flip side-- the Explorer is actually starting to grow on me...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Sat in one at the fair tonight. Great seats. WAY too many buttons for this Luddite, but great seats.

Exterior styling is appealing in a generic way...dashboard is a complicated mess of shapes and surfaces with buttons, touch-screens, knobs and display screens scattered all around. Busy and confusing- even if you were the sort who wanted all that crap, I think they missed the mark for looking clean and being easy to find the controls.

But I really liked that seat.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I look one over Thursday . Super ugly up close with way to cheap japo in sides .. Dealer rep say he had people that got new escape every couple years that came in looked at new ones and drove off . And later and he saw there Escapes at Toyota garage .

Ford way off on this one.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts