Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lunati Voodoo cam

Hi! I'm new to this forum and have a couple questions if y'all don't mind answerin em for me :) I have a 351 I picked up for cheap so I'm rebuilding the top end before it goes into my bronco.
So far I've got:
Edelbrock performer intake and 750 perf carb
Lunati voodoo 262/268 cam with .540 intake/.552 exhaust lift.
Heads rebuilt to stock specs with matching valve springs.
Keeping the stock bottom end since it checks out to be in great shape.
Hooker headers, 2.25" true dual open pipe exhaust.
Truck has 3.55 gears and I'm debating on a stall converter.

Has anyone used a voodoo cam? I've heard great things but I'm always open to more opinions, this is my dd and I drive about 25 miles round trip for work.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Tim Meyer from Tim Meyer Inc (the go to guy for 335 series) was very high on that series of cam. He suggested the 62500 and 62501 from that line for me, and a couple from Comp. However, for a DD streeter, he said the 62502 may be a bit much, and it doesn't fit the power band as well as the 62501 (in a truck you usually look for more on the low end, the 62502 is more mid to high). Honestly, to me...looks like a stock engine with too much carb and cam. Can it run...sure, will it run well...probably, is it a bit of overkill for essentially a stock engine, I think so.

Edit...stock 400's produce best tq #'s at 2200rpm, a quick look at the lunati site shows the 62502 doesn't even really start to hit the money until 1800rpm.

Second edit...he also suggested lift for stock springs should stay around .500...could you get by with stock springs with that cam...probably, but I'd probably upgrade. And what about push rods???

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, a lot of people told me it'll be too big for a dd but even the machine shop I took my heads to said it's a very good reliable cam to go with, said it'd sound great and perform even better. I forgot to mention that i got the cam, lifters, springs, and a straight up timing chain as a kit so I should be all set there. Just waitin on the heads and I'll start puttin it all together

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
As I said, it's a good line up. In a proper application, I'm sure it does do well. Sounds like folks did give you the cons, but if it's what you want and the machine shop said it would be fine, you got the answer you wanted to hear.

Stock pushrods will work, they check out good. As for overcarb.. I have a 600cfm that my buddy said wouldn't be big enough. Would you suggest the 750 or 600? and as for the rpm ranger, I was debating on a stall converter to get it up to range quicker but since it's my dd I don't wanna have too big a stall stall.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'd go 600. The 750 will work, and can be tuned to work flawlessly, but why start out with a headache. Unless you're going over 400 hp, nothing bigger than a 650 will be necessary. Keep in mind, 460's came stock with 600cfm carbs.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Are you sticking with the stock compression ratio?

x2 on what Ben said about carburetors... Less is more. That probably had a 500 - 550 cfm carb from tha factory...

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Stock c/r on a 351m is what? 8:1? 8.2:1?

Don't know what pistons cost for that (possibly alot) but bumping that up to even 8.6:1 would be an improvement...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
if your gonna put that type of money into the top end... dump a few hundred more into the bottom end for a rebuild. or else you'll have to do this all over again in a few thousand miles when ya want more cause its over carb'd and not producing the power you want.

Or this one?
Lunati's Voodoo series of Hydraulic camshafts deliver more area under the curve than any other series of Hydraulic camshafts. This means more throttle response, quicker acceleration, more vacuum, better efficiency, combined with maximum horsepower and torque!
Hydraulic. The best torque cam for 351-400 applications. Expect strong low to mid range horsepower and torque gains. Excellent for RV type vehicles, pleasure boats or towing applications.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 250/256
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 207/213
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .503/.524
LSA/ICL: 112/108
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 1000-5200
Includes: Cam Kit
Part Number: 10320700LK

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts