Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'73 Runs now but way to rich (6 MPG) & Tranny shifts way too Fast!!

Oh... heat riser tube should be between your air cleaner horn/snout/intake and the exhaust manifold directly beneath it. When your truck was made, they were constructed in much the same way as that "cardboard hose" on your charcoal canister, except about 2" in diameter, +/_. Nowadays, the replacement looks more akin to a dryer vent hose, just smaller.

Im pretty sure hes talkin about the tube that comes off the breather,if
you still have the old style breather that is.

There should be a tube that comes off the exaust to it...:)

I myself am learning on these vaccum diaphrams as Im fixing
to replace my vally pan gaskets,Im getting alot of oil seepage,an
maybe losing vaccum as well...:)

Very good point. Valley gasket leaks are another thing to check. In the olden days, we'd spray carb cleaner around the edges of the valley with the engine running. If it ran better, it's a leaker. Careful of this method, if you're on blood pressure meds or asthmatic... it put me on the floor, a few years back...

Here is another
picture.php

Tom,
Thanks for trying to assist with the vacuum diagrams but neither look like my '73 with stock 302 with auto tranny. What year is the 1st diagram of (not the one that states it is a 460)? There sure look like a lot more valves on it than are on mine.
Thanks, Dean

I think some vary in different regions,some may have different componets,
The main concern,is to make sure that you have no vaccum leaks,an
all of your lines are in the right place,an are in good shape.
Make sure that the intake manifold & carb base gasket are not leakimg.:)

I think some vary in different regions,some may have different componets,
The main concern,is to make sure that you have no vaccum leaks,an
all of your lines are in the right place,an are in good shape.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. The vast majority of my vacuum lines are disconnected and have bolts in the ends of them. AL. doesn't require emissions so, I'm sure that some of them are for emissions (EGR) but due to them being disconnected I have no idea where they are suppose to go. Should I reconnect even the emissions in an effort to get the best gas mileage OR should I only focus on the vacuum lines other than emissions (& again, regardless, without a diagram I don't know which serves which purpose & where they go).

Make sure that the intake manifold & carb base gasket are not leakimg.:)

The carb is a newly reman. & the gasket is brand new & I don't feel any type of leak. Thanks, Dean

Ford Truck Articles