Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Check out all the different products we carry.

rambler

New Shoes......
ok,, I have a question.. not sure if this is the correct section or not.. my 2000 5.4 superduty has over 258K miles on it,, primarily a grocery getter/ DD for the wife. we dont drive it like we use to, but when I use it, I will pull stock trailer or some longer trips..

I have for years.. added Lucas Oil treatment to the oil.. and I credit my success with the engine for this.. but here is my concern.. when I change the oil,, since it is a older more used engine, it will "leak" when running straight oil in it,,, so I always add 1-2 quarts of lucas in it.. so no leaks..

my concern is with synthetics since they are "slicker" I heard they leak more for a well used engine... anything similar to Lucas? I know it is thicker in winter I have to keep it inside and warm for it to flow.. and when it does use a quart between changes.. I always add Lucas.

just wondering.. I like to keep this truck as long as possible and do not want a full engine replacement anytime soon. it runs great like it is.. and how I am doing it .. I just cannot run straight oil w/o leaks..

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I like the shelf. :D

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid Truck looks good in this picture.

What oil are you using along with the Lucas oil treatment?

I'm am NOT a fan of Lucas additives. They dilute the additive in the oil. They simply just thicken the oil up.

Would it be bad for him to just use a thicker oil? It is an older engine.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i was actually going thinking of trying out ams' diesel booster later this yr.. dont think my winter motorcraft additives gonna last the winter lol

rambler

New Shoes......
thanks for the response.. I normally run 6 quarts castoil 5w30 and a quart of lucas oil treament. I use Wix filters...

when it gets low.. (usually 2500-3k) I will add another quart of lucas...

If I run straight oil.. 5w30 it will start leaking on the driveway.... and burn through or leak through it faster...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I'm am NOT a fan of Lucas additives. They dilute the additive in the oil. They simply just thicken the oil up.

i liked their fuel additive better than i have PS/Diesel Kleen and Motorcrafts versions.. Tests ive seen for lucas said the reduced the lubricity in the diesel fluid where PS/DK only knocked it down to 10points under the industry's minimal standard. MC actually improved it.. (lucas was shown to be 5 spots below PS).. but the irony is.. i had my best mpg when i ran Lucas's additive than i have since i switched off of it. was getting 19-22mpg with it... when i ran PS/DK i dropped to 13mpg.. and MC im sitting at 16... those same tests claim Opti-lube's XDP is supposed to be the best.. Ams-oil's stuff wasnt even listed.

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
thanks for the response.. I normally run 6 quarts castoil 5w30 and a quart of lucas oil treament. I use Wix filters...

when it gets low.. (usually 2500-3k) I will add another quart of lucas...

If I run straight oil.. 5w30 it will start leaking on the driveway.... and burn through or leak through it faster...

Try a 10w40 High mileage. Valvoline Max-life or Quaker State Defy are the 2 I recommens. and go from there

Ford Truck Articles