Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pulling a cab

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Great pictures Vince.

What an exhaust plumbing nightmare, looks like they took all the leftovers from the spare parts box to make that exhaust tangle.:headbang:

So where is the up pipe cracked?

blacksnapon

Staff member
how long did it end up taking you, vince?

Ryan
The body bolts coming up from the bottom are coated with the blue locktite. They came out so hard, 3 cage nuts on the topside broke loose, causing me extra work to get to the nuts, and hold them while turning the bolts. All together, about 5 hours.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Thats damned interesting...........How hard was it to get apart? One thing that kind of intrigues me............If somebody was trying this at home (in their shop at home, more likely), while pulling the cab would be a pain in the butt, man you can't argue with that kind of access to the engine.

Gunner

blacksnapon

Staff member
Great pics vince, looks like the cab lift went pretty smoothly; sure looks like it reduces the amount of skin you leave on a truck when doing any engine service. :beer:
If it wasn't for the cage nuts, it wouldn't be too bad. At my age, not having to lay across the engine for several hours is a plus!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Great pictures Vince.

What an exhaust plumbing nightmare, looks like they took all the leftovers from the spare parts box to make that exhaust tangle.:headbang:

So where is the up pipe cracked?
I'm finding a lot of play, and movement in the expansion joints (no soot tracks). We got all of the pipes, so they all get changed. The gasket between the turbo and down pipe shows signs of leakage. It had to be something that was intermittent, and took a lot of boost and backpressure to leak.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thats damned interesting...........How hard was it to get apart? One thing that kind of intrigues me............If somebody was trying this at home (in their shop at home, more likely), while pulling the cab would be a pain in the butt, man you can't argue with that kind of access to the engine.

Gunner
HPIM04641.JPG
there's a closeup of the quick disconnect on the top radiator hose

blacksnapon

Staff member
HPIM0463.JPG
here's another
You can see the three expansion joints in this picture. When I loosened the down pipe, it jumped up 1". All of these components are supposed to be "unloaded" or not under stress. I'm going to make sure they have been assembled properly before dropping the body back on it.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The two bottom pipes with the expansion joints are there, and the down pipe. The one pipe going to the left (on top) is the diesel oxidation catalyst going to the first egr cooler.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts