Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1984 control module problems

I need help. My "baby" is 1984 F150, 300 - 6 It has run beautifully for quite awhile. Started destroying ignition control modules. I have went throug 4 so far. I have replaced the distributor, cap and button, also replaced coil, fuel pump, and filter. The last control module , I went with the more expensive BWD at triple the cost. Worked great for two weeks. It now is seeming defective and engine quits. If I unplug the connector and reconnect, it will start again and run for a little while. What do I do next? Replace ECM? If possible wiring problems, (nothing has ever been done with this, stock) what do I look for etc? Can. Anyone help?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I need help. My "baby" is 1984 F150, 300 - 6 It has run beautifully for quite awhile. Started destroying ignition control modules. I have went throug 4 so far. I have replaced the distributor, cap and button, also replaced coil, fuel pump, and filter. The last control module , I went with the more expensive BWD at triple the cost. Worked great for two weeks. It now is seeming defective and engine quits. If I unplug the connector and reconnect, it will start again and run for a little while. What do I do next? Replace ECM? If possible wiring problems, (nothing has ever been done with this, stock) what do I look for etc? Can. Anyone help?
E43Z-12A297-A .. TFI Ignition Module-Located on Distributor (Motorcraft DY-425) / Marked: E3EF-12A297-A1A or A2A / Available from Ford & auto parts stores.

This module has been a notorious POS since day one! About 15 years ago, the US Gov't forced FoMoCo to recall over a million vehicles to replace the turds.

Today, the problem is even worse, with auto parts stores selling made in China crap!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I purchased another module today from another parts store. The last one is covered by warranty but had to order it. Going to take a few days. The one I purchased today says made in USA by BWD has me back on the road. I'll pick the other one up and I guess will have a spare. I cleaned a couple grounds and reconnected and also removed the ECM and cleaned pins. Nad reconnected. I pray this one will last?????? What else can I do ?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Make sure to coat the back of it with the dielectric grease that was supplied with it, or the new one will fail soon too

Ford Truck Articles