Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tsb 11-4-21

blacksnapon

Staff member
TSB
11-4-21 6.7L - CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS ISSUES - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/11/2011

Publication Date: April 27, 2011

FORD: 2011 F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550

This article supersedes TSB 11-3-23 to add additional calibration content.

ISSUE:
Some 2011 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L engine and built on or before 4/11/2011 may exhibit malfunction indicator light (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) P0401, P0402, P009A if driven at highway speeds with a snow plow attached, P164A if idled for extended periods in colder ambient temperatures, 2-3 transmission shift flares, harsh/inconsistent transmission shifting during transmission fluid warm up and tip-in events at low speeds or when coming to a stop. Refer to the Calibration Content for additional details.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and the transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.03 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

The Calibration Update Contains Improvement Actions And Enhancements:

DTC P0401 (exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow insufficient detected)
DTC P0402 (exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow excessive detected)
DTC P009A (intake air temperature/ambient air temperature correlation) if driven at highway speeds with a snow plow attached
False DTC P164A (O2 sensor positive current trim circuit performance [bank 1, sensor 1]) if idled for extended periods in colder ambient temperature
2-3 transmission shift flares
Harsh/inconsistent transmission shifting during transmission fluid warm up
Improved shift feel for tip-in events at low speed or when coming to a stop
Previously Released Calibration Content

Previously released calibration content included in IDS software release 69.07 and higher contained improvement actions and enhancements to address the following:

Calibration Content Vehicles Built On Or Before 11/5/2010

Delayed manual upshifts from 1st to 2nd gear when in Select Shift mode while going down a grade
Harsh/delayed 1-2 upshift and downshift
Harsh 2-3 upshift on first drive away of day after vehicle soak
DEF warning messages won't reset after refilling DEF tank with Key On Engine Running
Modified vehicles for rail applications, that will not re-engage PTO operation or speedometer inoperative after riding on the tracks with the front wheels off the ground
VSOUT signal inoperable from customer access circuits under dash
DTC P2463 or P246C (DPF restriction) and DTC P2459 (DPF regeneration frequency) - adds increased ability to perform manual regeneration at higher load values when performing system diagnostics
Calibration Content - Vehicles Built On Or Before 08/23/2010

False DTC P132B (turbocharger/supercharger boost control A performance)
False DTC P0299 (turbocharger/supercharger A under-boost condition)
False DTC P050E (cold start engine exhaust temperature too low)
False DTC P06EA (NOX sensor processor performance (bank 1, sensor 1)
DTC P249C (SCR time to closed loop) - improved diagnostics and reporting
DTC P249F (excessive time to enter closed loop DPF regeneration control) - improved diagnostics and reporting
False DTC P0884 (PCM/TCM power input signal intermittent)
DTC(s) and freeze frame data being erased in the PCM when running KOEO, KOER, Datalogger, Active Commands or any other guided diagnostics with IDS
False P0731 (gear 1 incorrect ratio)
False P0732 (gear 2 incorrect ratio)
False P0733 (gear 3 incorrect ratio)
False P0734 (gear 4 incorrect ratio)
False P0735 (gear 5 incorrect ratio)
False P0729 (gear 6 incorrect ratio)
Low speed/load engine surge
Abrupt engine shutdown feel
HP fuel pump knocking noise at idle
Delayed DEF level indication after refill event
Harsh/bumpy transmission upshifts/downshifts
Delayed/harsh transmission engagement feel between R-D and D-R shifts
Transmission gear hunting during speed control operation when climbing grades or climbing hills, particularly while towing
Erratic transmission operation after descending grades while in 1st gear
Flashes/delays of current gear indication when using SelectShift mode
Added Brake Over Accelerator (BOA) feature - reduces engine power during off-idle driving when both the accelerator and brake pedals are applied simultaneously
Added SelectShift memory feature so the SelectShift gear display comes back on whenever going back into drive if the vehicle was turned off while SelectShift mode was still activated
Added engine protection feature from overspeed when descending long grades while towing and in manual gear ranges (forces transmission upshifts at 4000 RPM)
Increased torque - during hill assist operation - (see Owner Guide for additional system operation)
PTO operational enhancements - (applicable to vehicles equipped with optional PTO)
- Automatic secondary electronic idle controller (SEIC) turns on at engine start if the switch is in the on position

- Engine coolant temperature to operate PTO lowered to -7 °C (+20 °F)

- Improved RPM control with SEIC controllers

Last edited:
I think I may go get this flash. It seems sometimes at low rpm/throttle input the engine momentarily hesitates or briefly stalls. It does not do it on a consistent basis so the dealer may not be able to repeat the concern however it seemd the more subjective "harsh shifting" may be justification enough.

Seems to have solved issues

This is my first diesel Ford. I sold my 2000 V-10 with 255,000 on her and my friend said she's still running strong. With this new truck (built Aug 24, 2010), I was experiencing issues with the low-end take-off "stall" and generally feeling like the tranny was "slingshot" shifting as I have personally termed it. I searched for any of these issues and this forum popped right up. I am thankful for you guys out there spreading the word on your experiences. I had this flash installed yesterday and, just driving home from the dealership, I experienced significant improvement.

I will say I did initially get a bit of a runaround with the service manager because he was concerned about properly diagnosing (test drive) it so Ford Corp would pay them for the labor. When I handed him the print out I got from this site and told him I simply wanted all of the current software updated he backed off and got to work. It was the one thing I failed to understand given these issues are clearly known for all trucks built before November. Seems like they should make it a voluntary recall procedure?

This is a phenomenal power package 8,000 miles into the experience so I hope Ford has created a winner!

blacksnapon

Staff member
This is my first diesel Ford. I sold my 2000 V-10 with 255,000 on her and my friend said she's still running strong. With this new truck (built Aug 24, 2010), I was experiencing issues with the low-end take-off "stall" and generally feeling like the tranny was "slingshot" shifting as I have personally termed it. I searched for any of these issues and this forum popped right up. I am thankful for you guys out there spreading the word on your experiences. I had this flash installed yesterday and, just driving home from the dealership, I experienced significant improvement.

I will say I did initially get a bit of a runaround with the service manager because he was concerned about properly diagnosing (test drive) it so Ford Corp would pay them for the labor. When I handed him the print out I got from this site and told him I simply wanted all of the current software updated he backed off and got to work. It was the one thing I failed to understand given these issues are clearly known for all trucks built before November. Seems like they should make it a voluntary recall procedure?

This is a phenomenal power package 8,000 miles into the experience so I hope Ford has created a winner!
First off, welcome to the site. The service department of your dealer was just following protocol. We are supposed to verify the customers concern first. All of the diagnostic steps have to be documented, all circuits and connecters tested (with numbers of each), before the claim can be paid, or it will be denied. Thats why the customer should try to work with the dealers. Their hands are tied to a certain extent.

Ford Truck Articles