Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bonus built paint colors?

tinman52

Tin bender
I'm curious about original colors on these trucks....
My '51 F-6 COE was originally white, kind of a bright white. The one color chart I found online did not show a bright white, just a cream color.
I also had a '51 F-2 years ago that was the same white I think.....
Any links or pics?

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Paint Colors

My 52 F3 was originally Glenmist Green and my Grandad got the Deluxe Cab which included the maroon on gray seat cover, a heater, two (count 'em TWO) sun visors, turn signals, and courtesy light. My wife was not supportive of putting the original paint on the old girl so I have a couple of gallons of Eastwood Candy Red that I will at some point spray on. Given that my truck has been sitting in my driveway for ten years now, I am again reminded that The Lord gave me a more beautiful and patient bride than I could ever deserve!

Lewis

White wasn't one of the standard colors in '51 or '52. But could have been a fleet color. Late '51 and '52 data plates give the color codes for the trucks. An "SS" for special paint would signify a fleet color. Early '51 might have a color code on the cowl stamping to my understanding. But I don't know whether the cowl stampings followed the same system. You could also find a "P" for primer if the buyer was to do the final paint locally. Stu

tinman52

Tin bender
Good info, thanks.

I'm pretty sure it is the original paint, it is worn thru in a couple spots and no other colors show thru. Also white under the firewall insulator.....
The truck exterior was later painted green, but the white shows through in places.
Pic of interior....

DSCN1915.jpg

The closest of the '51 standard colors would be Silvertown Gray or Grey, not sure which. I have two '51 project trucks that were this color originally and it looks more blue than gray IMHO. It wouldn't be confused for white I don't think. Stu

According to the tag decode section of the Ford Chassis Parts manual, your color choices for 1951 were;

Black, code A
Sheridan Blue, code B
Alpine Blue, code D
Sea Island Green, code G
Silvertone Grey, code H
Meadow Green, code M
Vermillion (red), code N
Prime, code P
Special Paint, code SS

My Mercury pickup was white, but it was delivered in primer and painted white on the exterior only after assembly, presumably at the dealer level. The firewall and interior were left in red-oxide primer. You can tell it was definitely painted after assembly.

tinman52

Tin bender
Thanks for those codes Wayne.....it's not that big of a deal really, I was just curious. I will likely just clean up/touch up the original interior white since this will be a working truck. Nothing fancy....

Ford Truck Articles