Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2006 F350 TBC issue

Heeeelp. Before I start, let me just say that I have read dozens of posts on this issue and used them to eliminate possible causes as I will outline below.

Problem: I'm getting TBC fault messages on the dash display.

The faults started after I temporarily hooked my truck up to a friend's trailer with a lighting system short. Now I'm stuck with them. Pushing the reset button clears the message temporarily, but as soon as I use the brakes, it returns.

To date, the trailer brake system continues to work perfectly. Variabe with the dash settings (1-10), smooth with brake pressure and plenty of stopping power with my large rig. All the lights work. No detectable problem. I have checked ALL the fuses (not just the ones related to the TBC), have cleaned the backside of the trailer jack connections, made sure everything that I can see is dry, checked the fuses in the engine compartment. Did a visual of all the cable from the engine compartment to the trailer connector. Everything seems to work and look perfect, yet I get the TBC faults on the dash display. The truck throws no DTCs and seems to run perfectly. There are no other electrical or mechanical problems that I can detect. And last, I disconnected both positive battery leads hoping that maybe I could cause a "clear" condition, but no. Is there a known way to clear the TBC, or am I stuck with it short of taking it to a dealer? Thanks guys

blacksnapon

Staff member
PINPOINT TEST H: THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DISPLAYS "TBC FAULT"
Test Step Result / Action to Take
H1 CHECK FOR THE PRESENCE OF A TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL (TBC) MODULE AND BRAKE PRESSURE TRANSDUCER
Verify that the vehicle is equipped with a TBC module in the instrument panel and a brake pressure transducer on the master cylinder.
Is the vehicle equipped with a TBC module and a brake pressure transducer?
Yes
GO to H2.

No
If the vehicle has a brake pressure transducer but not a TBC module, INSTALL a TBC module. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

If the vehicle has a TBC module but does not have a brake pressure transducer, GO to H4 .

If the vehicle has neither a TBC module nor a brake pressure transducer, GO to H3 .
H2 CHECK TBC MODULE COMMUNICATIONS
Using the scan tool, access the TBC module.
Does the scan tool communicate with the TBC module?
Yes
For vehicles built before December 5th, 2005, GO to Pinpoint Test A.

For vehicles built December 5th, 2005 and later, VERIFY that the instrument cluster is configured correctly, RECONFIGURE as necessary. REFER to Programmable Parameters in this section. CHECK the communications between the instrument cluster and the TBC module. REPAIR as necessary. REFER to Section 418-00.

No
GO to Pinpoint Test A.
H3 CHECK THE VEHICLE BUILD INFORMATION
Verify that the vehicle is supposed to be equipped with a TBC module.
Is the vehicle supposed to be equipped with a TBC module?
Yes
INSTALL a trailer brake retrofit kit. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

No
VERIFY that the instrument cluster is configured correctly, RECONFIGURE as necessary. REFER to Programmable Parameters in this section.
H4 CHECK THE VEHICLE BUILD INFORMATION
Verify that the vehicle is supposed to be equipped with a TBC module.
Is the vehicle supposed to be equipped with a TBC module?
Yes
INSTALL a brake pressure transducer. Make sure to LUBRICATE the O-ring seal with clean specified brake fluid before installation. RECONFIGURE the instrument cluster for trailer brakes, REFER to Programmable Parameters in this section. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

No
REMOVE the TBC module and install the storage bin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

blacksnapon

Staff member
ppt a

PINPOINT TEST A: NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL (TBC) MODULE
NOTICE: Use the flex probe kit for all test connections to prevent damage to the wiring terminals. Do not use standard multimeter probes.

Test Step Result / Action to Take
A1 CHECK THE MISSING CONTROLLER AREA NETWORK (CAN) SOURCE IDENTIFIER PID
Ignition ON.
Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: Missing CAN Source Identifier PID .
Does the PID indicate a missing module?
Yes
For missing powertrain control module (PCM), REFER to Section 303-14A (gasoline engine) or Section 303-14B (diesel engine).

For missing anti-lock brake system (ABS) control module, REFER to Section 206-09.

For missing instrument cluster, REFER to Section 413-01.

No
GO to A2.
A2 CHECK THE VOLTAGE TO THE TBC MODULE
Ignition OFF.
Disconnect: TBC Module C2142A .
Disconnect: TBC Module C2142B .
Ignition ON.
Measure the voltage between TBC module, harness side and ground as follows:
TBC module C2142A-1, circuit 50 (RD), harness side.
TBC module C2142B-3, circuit 298 (VT/OG), harness side.

Are the voltages greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to A3.

No
VERIFY CJB fuse 101 (30A) is OK. If OK, REPAIR circuit 50 (RD) for an open.

VERIFY CJB fuse 28 (10A) is OK. If OK, REPAIR circuit 298 (VT/OG) for an open.

CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
A3 CHECK GROUND CIRCUIT 206 (WH) FOR AN OPEN
Ignition OFF.
Measure the resistance between TBC module C2124A-4, circuit 206 (WH), harness side and ground.

Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
REFER to Section 418-00 to continue diagnosis of the communication network.

No
REPAIR circuit 206 (WH) for an open. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

Ford Truck Articles