Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2001 Horn Wiring

My horn's always sounded puny. I don't think the low one works. I have a set of quad horns form my Dad's 87 Buick Park Ave, they sound awesome-like a classy freight train.

Anyway, I will mount them a pair each side of the radiator. The wires that powered the original F150 horns splits off from the loom going to the fog light on the right. There are an identical pair of wires on the left side, but they don't power up when the horn is energized. I'm wondering if there was an option for extra horns, and if I could add a relay or something to power up these wires? I could add a relay and wires but I prefer to use factory wiring if possible.

Thanks.

any relay would be in the power distribution box

Would you like me to check to see if they put one there ?

mfruendt

ASSET Teacher
The 2001 F-150 had a "horn assembly" located on the left front of the radiator support, it contained both the high and low pitch horns. The horns were were powered through a YE/LG wire from the horn relay in the Battery Junction Box. The ground was a single black wire from the horn assembly a ground on the right front radiator support. I don't see any additional wires for auxilliary horns in the schematic.

The 2001 F-150 had a "horn assembly" located on the left front of the radiator support, it contained both the high and low pitch horns. The horns were were powered through a YE/LG wire from the horn relay in the Battery Junction Box. The ground was a single black wire from the horn assembly a ground on the right front radiator support. I don't see any additional wires for auxilliary horns in the schematic.

That all sounds right, except that my dual horns are on the right side of the radiator. Can you see the harness that feeds the LH fog light? The wires I'm wondering about split off from this harness same as the RH side where they feed the horns.

mfruendt

ASSET Teacher
The Ford wiring diagram is wrong, the horns on my 2001 are also on the right side. The diagram does not show any other wires except the two that "feed" the horns, but since we already proved the diagram is wrong on the location, I can't say one way or the other on the wires, but I suspect the wires you see on the left side are for something else. I don't have fog lamps to check.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts