Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5600VA inverter set-up

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Here is a pictorial of 2 Outback Power VFX2812 true sine wave inverters that I put in our work truck. This kind of set-up can go in an RV or house and can be increased in size up to 36KVA. Our set-up is designed to output 120V @ 5.6KVA. continuously..the surge is 9.6KVA, 8KVA for 5 seconds and 6.4KVA for 30 min.
When connected to shore power, they work backwards and charge the batteries @ 250A utilizing a 3 stage charging process.
Eventually there will be 6-175 watt solar panels hooked up as well.
There is a 320 amp alternator in the truck that will be able to be connected to the inverter battery bank should the need arise.
The batteries are Concord Lifeline 8D AGM's.

The inverters:

from_Val_630.JPG

Insulated and mounted with the interconnects approx 1320lbs in batteries.

from_Val_634.JPG

Interconnects using 350MCM welding cable

from_Val_637.JPG

Shelf mounted for inverters to be mounted to

from_Val_639.JPG

Inverters mounted with 400A fuses and blocks in place

from_Val_642.JPG

Lugs mounted to fuse blocks

from_Val_643.JPG

Starting the 120V wiring #6 wire is being used.

from_Val_648.JPG

Junction box wiring for supply in and bonding relay

from_Val_651.JPG

Closer picture of same

from_Val_652.JPG

Ready for final primary and 12V wiring

from_Val_653.JPG

Finished product with ITE 8cct panel

from_Val_659.JPG

Any questions feel free to ask!

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
coolness there Duncan. I have a small solar inverter setup and a 8Hp engine hooked to a alternator for when the discharge rate is higher than the panels can recharge.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks Randy..it has worked well for our needs. We have been talking with a client that would like a 36KVA system with 17.5KVA in solar cells and a Surrette battery set-up...it will be a cool thing to do if he decides to do it.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I built my little system in case of a major electrical outage and for at the farm where I started to build a cabin. There is no electric service there and I hate to here a generator running all the time. With the inverters it is nice and quiet. I can run a tv and lights and my computer junk and minor other stuff for approx 6-8 hours before kicking in the gas engine to charge.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Sounds like a good set-up...I would do the same kind of thing.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
KVA...kilo volt amps...or watts if you want. Trouble is, it is watts only with a purely resistive load. Anytime you have an inductive type load...eg, motors, transformers, amplifiers you get a product of volts and amps.
As much as I don't like Wikipedia, this isn't a bad article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power

Last edited:
KVA...kilo volt amps...or watts if you want. Trouble is, it is watts only with a purely resistive load. Anytime you have an inductive type load...eg, motors, transformers, amplifiers you get a product of volts and amps.
As much as I don't like Wikipedia, this isn't a bad article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power

Ah ok.. (I understand, but it's still greek to me)

Hot damn thats slick Duncan :)

No ****, whats a set up like that run?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Damn, thats spendy.. I wish.

That is a running joke with all of these "going green" idiots....the people that want a solar/wind/hydro alternate power package wind up spending at least 50k to be able to live in some semblance of normality...sure, you can spend 10k on a home system, but it really isn't going to do a whole hell of a lot unless you want to live like in the stone age.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
So your saying its about 50k for a setup to be "comfortable" ?

If you want to live a normal, everyday lifestyle then yes...I'm not gonna sugar coat it....when I see the crap that people and companies advertise to be "self sufficient", it makes me froth...the media is a powerful tool and false and improper info is rampant.

That's all in your work truck Duncan? Man that is sweet.

Thanks Aaron!...yep, all in the work truck, it has a 20' box..it works well...it can run a 15,000btu A/C unit for about 3 days if needed. The battery bank was sized for about 20% depth of discharge. The batteries also directly power an Espar diesel air heater that keeps the truck at any temp up to about 90F...we set it about 60 for winter and it keeps everything toasty...tools like it, cordless batteries like it...I sure like it!.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
That is a running joke with all of these "going green" idiots....the people that want a solar/wind/hydro alternate power package wind up spending at least 50k to be able to live in some semblance of normality...sure, you can spend 10k on a home system, but it really isn't going to do a whole hell of a lot unless you want to live like in the stone age.

If you want to live a normal, everyday lifestyle then yes...I'm not gonna sugar coat it....when I see the crap that people and companies advertise to be "self sufficient", it makes me froth...the media is a powerful tool and false and improper info is rampant.

Damn Duncan you are going to hurt Al Gore & Obama's feelings :rolling laugh: :rolling laugh: :rolling laugh:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Damn Duncan you are going to hurt Al Gore & Obama's feelings :rolling laugh: :rolling laugh: :rolling laugh:

They can both have a long, lingering lick on my lovestick...the amount of hot air that comes outta both of their mouths could power all of North America for a decade.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
They can both have a long, lingering lick on my lovestick...the amount of hot air that comes outta both of their mouths could power all of North America for a decade.

ROFLMAO :rolling laugh: :rolling laugh: :rolling laugh:

Yep those two Bozo's do more harm in 5-minutes than Hitler & Mussolini did there entire lives.:headbang:

Ford Truck Articles