Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear end ratio 1971 F-100

I am currently doing my homework and parts list for my build and I am stuck on choosing the right rear end ratio. My current setup is a 1971 351w swap with a potential Tremec T-5 cobra spec transmission. This truck is going to be a daily driver but will be built to have some get-up anyone have any suggestions

Fellro

Staff member
Well, you have a little more homework to do... What RPM's do you want it to operate in, as in what cruise speed and engine speed do you want, and what are you willing to trade off on the bottom end. If you want lower cruise rpm, you end up with a numerically lower ratio. That will direct you to what range of ratios will be acceptable. Typically mid 3's give good take off, but also good highway cruise. If you want more snap, and aren't going to be running 70+ down the highway, then you can get to 3.73 or 4.10.

I was thinking anywhere from 2500-3500 cruising rpm no more than 4500-5000 really getting on it i understand the ratios but i havnt really done drive train work so i dont know which will give me what im looking for but thank you for the help if you have anything to learn me please share

Fellro

Staff member
Use this converter to help you determine tire size and gear ratios to get where you want. It mainly is just about getting the right engine speeds and such through matching up your tire diameter tot he ratio of the driveshaft and the transmission. It isn't tough, just gotta get the best numerical match up to get the results you desire.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

Thank you as soon as i can ill see what i can come up with. If you wouldnt mind ill run it through to you and let me know what you think?

Fellro

Staff member
Definitely worth getting an opinion.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Even a 4.10 would keep you around 2300 at 70...and the added bonus of faster acceleration out of the hole :D

Fellro

Staff member
You don't want your cruise too low or it starts dogging out on hills and you have to pull the gear. 2000 is at the bottom the the common power band, so moving it up to 2300 would be about right. 3.73 or 4.10 would be a good one, and you can use taller tires to bring it back down as well. You will find the most common pulling and fun gears are typically 3.73 or 4.10.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Be aware that there were TWO different 9" rear axles used in 1970/72 F100's.

One has a 9" ring gear and 28 spline axle shafts. T'other has a 9 3/8" ring gear, 31 spline axle shafts and Traction-Lok.

9 vs 9 3/8: Only 5 parts are the same: Housing gasket, pinion seal, pilot bearing retainer, one pinion bearing and cup.

EVERYTHING else is different!

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles