Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How many miles on your straight six? Any good big six stories?

andym

Real men are fanatics
This forum needs help. :)

I'll start... I've owned four trucks with the six. I consider it to be one of, if not the best light duty truck motor ever made.

My first Ford had a 300 in it. I bought when I lived in upstate NY (nowhere near Carl... this was REAL upstate) and I got it to replace a car that got wrecked on me. I didn't know the first thing about trucks. I didn't even know Fords were the best trucks. I bought it from a dealership that bought vehicles from down south, and it had a perfect body on it. I loved that truck. I drove it across the country when I moved to California.

It died when an Isuzu pickup pulled out in front of me while I was towing an RV.

I bought a Bronco with a 300 in it as well... I eventually got rid of it. The truck had been abused its whole life and I never should have bought it. But the truck ran great!

After my pickup got wrecked, I bought an F-150 with a 300 and a T18 in it. I still have it, and it's one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned.

I also had a '91 F-150 (2wd) that I bought for reasons which I still don't fully understand. After I bought it, I found out it needed a new motor. My fault, really - I didn't check it out thoroughly enough before buying. The PO had overheated it and it used coolant like it was going out of style. I kept four bottles of antifreeze/water mix around to keep it full. I did swap the motor... and then sold it. I never really like the truck though - it just never sat right with me.

Oh yeah... My '89 F-150 - the only six I own - has 155k on it. The most work I've done to the motor is replace a leaky valve cover gasket.

My dad bought a 77 F-100 new. 300I, 3 on the tree. Totally stripped truck. He drove it for 18 years after that.

The kicker? It had 36,000 miles on it when he traded it off and bought a 100,000+ mile LTD. I was Irate.

fenderbender2002

Mine has 333,114 never been rebuilt or had any major engine or tranny work done yet.

about 33K on my 4.9. towing my boat you can't tell its back there. same with my moms much larger pontoon boat. i once pulled a 6k lb front porch from 1 house to another(yeah very redneck) without a trailer. i only wish i had a c6 instead of the e4od.
Andym.. i think i asked before but can't remember, where in NY were you???

Last edited:

andym

Real men are fanatics
Just outside of Buffalo. My parents and I both got smart and moved away, but my siblings all still live there.

opposite end of the st. out here we call it "the armpit of NY", though my brother went to school at ferdonia. 6yrs of college and not enough credits for a basket weaving degree.

mine in a e250-1995 has well over 300000-lost track had to change out the instrument cluster 3 times-they were shutting down causing the e4od trans to act up !! have only changed out the oil pump -well internally -externally-water pump alt-E.T.C

Ford Truck Articles