Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help putting engine back in 78 F150

Doing an engine swap on my 1978 4x4 F150. Removing old engine was no problem at all, strapped trans tight to chassis etc... 351m/c6 automatic.

For the life of me I can't get the new engine in. It's very close, but the mounts are about a half inch away from falling into place, and engine can't move back any further... Flywheel is in bellhousing, but not mated to torque converter because it's not low enough yet.

I've assisted in a few swaps before but this is the first time I've attempted one solo on my own vehicle... Potentially there is something simple I'm missing, or I'm over thinking it..

The engine going in is the identical twin to the one that came out, all the way down to the mounts. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Attached some pictures of truck for your enjoyment

Attachments

• IMG-20180804-WA0001.jpg
  • IMG-20180804-WA0000.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Nothing hanging up at all?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i cant say for 100% but ive heard that its possible to get the motor mounts on backwards on those engines... supposedly when that happens it ends up being a 1/2" off... just what ive heard cant say for certain since ive never played with one of those...

Fellro

Staff member
The torque converter studs can only pass through the flexplate one way, you have to get all 4 holes lined up. They are not symmetrically arranged, one will be lust a little off. Once you get the studs aligned to the proper hole, it will pass.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Is the torque converter all the way back in the transmission. If not, you will never get it together properly
Pull the engine part way back out, turn and push the converter until it sinks all the way back in the trans, deep enough to not be able to get your fingers between the converter and the case

Fellro

Staff member
Flywheel is in bellhousing, but not mated to torque converter because it's not low enough yet.

This part is key I suspect. So the trans bell housing most times needs to be as high as you can get it. You have to both get the flexplate (flywheel) bolt holes aligned with the studs on the torque converter, and be sure it also is seated into the pump properly as charlie stated. If you don't get those two things at the same time, it will never make it inside the bell housing.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Like Roger said.
Plus. if you try to force it, you stand the chance of breaking the pump in the transmission

Ford Truck Articles