Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Finding exhaust for 79

Hey folks, I have been piecing together a 79 F-150 4x4 with a 302 cid V8. Because of it being a 4 speed standard and a 4x4, I am having a time finding a y -pipe to run from stock 302 manifolds down the passenger side of the transmission. Walker does not seem to make this y-pipe. they have 302/5.0 for trucks from 1980-1986. however, they have y-pipes for 5.8 and larger engines for the years 76 - 79. I know because of the rigid construction of the y-pipe that it would not fit the 302 and the 351 windsor because of the increased deck height which would spread the mounting pipe connections. Has anyone come across this and what was your solution to the problem ? Thanks in advance. I would hate to have to fabricate this part, but, if I have to I will.

Any exhaust shop can make it. If you can't get the truck to a shop (this sounds ghetto but it works!) use pvc pipe and elbows to make a y-pipe that routes where u need it and take that into an exhaust shop so they have a pattern.

Fellro

Staff member
Many exhaust shops can figure out the pattern... but that would possibly speed up the process a little. You are right though, off the shelf for a 302 is hard to find. The one thing though, yes the 351W has the taller deck height, but since tha tis th eone available, you would be able to use it easier than trying to use a 302 on a 351W. When I did a 351W in a 79 Mustang, I use 203 headers (this was before the internet...) and shortened only the passenger side one to clear the frame rail. Yes, the Y is vertical, but it isn't too hard to move the pipes side to side to match the manifolds. The 1" is at an angle, so it isn't truly 1" taller as in from bottom to top, but the cylinder length is 1" longer.

Ford Truck Articles