Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Electrical issue. Yah, I know, nobody's favorite.

Luckily 95% of the electrical stuff works on my '73 F250. However, I came across a very puzzling issue with my neutral safety switch (automatic tranny). When I shift into reverse, the backup lights failed to work.Tested the lights to make sure they were actually working. First thought, bum switch. Drove out to a guy here in Portland who only works on old Ford trucks. We plugged in a switch he had and when slid the pin on the switch, bingo, lights came on. Bought the switch, brought it home installed, and you guessed it, no lights. I tinkered with it for about a half an hour. Finally took it off the column, and moved the light so I could see it. When I slid the pin again the light came on, but only when it was flush against the other end of the switch (so I was going beyond Park before the lights came on). I plugged in my old switch, same thing, had to slid it all the way over. I called my guy, and he was perplexed. Said to bring it back and we would try some other switches. We tried 3 more, all of them did the same thing. He said for all the years, and hundreds of trucks he's worked on, he's never come across anything like this. He even called some of his other very knowledgeable buddies, and no one seems to have an answer. Any of you wizards out there have a solution for me? Or am I stuck hooking up a toggle switch directly to the lights?

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Please read the post titled Neutral Safety Switch by Big Jim F150, in the Gen 6 forum for the 73 to 79 trucks for I had the same issues as well as a no start due to a neutral switch on my 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat. The switch would be located on the drivers side of the transmission. So look on the driver's side of of the transmission when you crawl under your truck. Hopefully this will help you with your problem.smiliegitrdonesmilieFordlogosmilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Is there not an adjustment on the switch (mounting adjustment)?

DNFXDLI- Not that I can figure out. It seems to be something more in the switch or wiring itself. It's really weird, everything else lines up. You can start it in park and neutral, but not in reverse, drive, 1st or 2nd, which is how it should be. This is both when mounted to the column or when you are holding it in your hand. The lights just won't engage until you move the slider to the left of park.
Big Jim 150- I can't seem to find a switch on the tranny. would it be on or near the same place as a manual tranny? I know the manual has a plunger type switch.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
The older manual transmissions did not have a neutral safety switch, they were just on the automatic transmissions , so the neutral safety switch will be located on the driver's side of the transmission just behind the bell housing , that is where it is located on the C6 automatic transmission that's in my 78 F-150, but they should be pretty much in the same location on all automatic transmissions.smilieFordlogosmilieFordlogosmiliegitrdonesmiliegitrdone

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Neutral safety switches were mounted on the steering column prior to 1978. The 1978 shop manual even shows the location on the steering column, but that is incorrect.

Also do the other gear indications line up with the dial. If the indication is slightly to the left or right of where it should be, then the indication just might need adjustment?

Last edited:
FatherDoug- That's what is strange, all the other indications line-up perfectly. Reverse is the only one not lining up. you have to push the pin on the switch all the way to the left (beyond park) to get the reverse lights to come on. This was the case with 4 different switches. She starts in Park and Neutral and not in the other gears or reverse.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts