Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Short-Term Results Hi-Flow Water Pump

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I posted part of this in the "What Did You Do To Your Dent Today", but thought it should have it's own thread.

Since the use of said hi-flow water pumps is controversial, I will post my experiences as time goes on. The pump I purchased is a Flow Kooler cast iron water pump with aluminum vanes.(P/N 1648CI) Purchase price was $116. They make an all aluminum version for the same price.

Initial installation went well. I had no problems with fitment. The pump also came with two gaskets, one of which was thicker. I think the thicker one is provided to allow for a little extra clearance. The pump did, however, come with two heater hose outlets(?). The second hole was a threaded hole, but there was no pipe plug provided to plug the hole. You either have to reuse the plug that is in your old pump, or purchase a plug.

I also replaced the fan clutch at the same time, since a worn clutch can also cause the water pump to prematurely fail. Also, finding a lower radiator hose for a supercooling radiator(4" tank top) was a bit of a chore. I ordered one from broncograveyard since both the description and the picture matched what I needed. When received, the hose was for the extra cooling radiator, which is an entirely different shape, and would not fit. :headbang: They did not show a listing for a supercooling radiator when called, using the Gates part#(which is also how they had it listed) There was only one parts house in my area that even listed the hose.(NAPA P/N 7799) The regional warehouse only had one in stock.

The end result of all this is that the engine temps SEEM to be a little cooler when climbing grades. Two trips up a 7% grade in 65 degree weather is hardly a convincing argument, but I will say that the engine temps are a little cooler as compared to previous similar conditions.

Previously, engine temps would climb to about 210 deg on the same grade. The last two trips(very similar conditions) pegged the engine temp at about 198 deg. At this point I am mildly pleased, but warmer weather on the same grade will be the telling factor. I will update as the summer progresses.

In summary, so far,:beer:

I forgot to mention the engine is a 400.

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Sounds like some promising results. I will interested to know how it works in hot temps.

Been running the same water pump in my 79 Bronc for years and been happy with the results. I mainly use my Bronco off road so it sees a lot of slow crawling in the mountains in around southern California. I recommend using a high flow thermostat which does not restrict the water flow through the cooling system as much as a normal thermostat.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Been running Flowkooler for years...won't run anything else.

Side note...happen to have a PN for that fan clutch??? And I'll see if I can't dig up the hose for the SC radiator in my Bronco. Might still even have the sticker on it. Got it from napa.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Ben, the Hayden part number for the fan clutch is 2747. NAPA P/N is 271303. It is a heavy duty clutch.

I tried a severe duty clutch with no real improvement. They say you need at least 2 1/2" of fan blade pitch in order for it to work well. My current 7-blade fan is right at 2 1/2" pitch, and I saw no difference.

The NAPA part number for the lower super cooling radiator hose is 7799. I did find one, it just took me awhile.

I'm not very happy with JBG right now, they made no effort to come up with the correct part, and they made no effort to correct the description in their catalog or online.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Update. Got to run the truck in some 80 deg weather over the same road(7 % Grade). The truck temp peaked at about 208*, as opposed to 215-220* earlier. Big Smile:D

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Update. The highest temps I've seen this summer were right at 220 deg at 95 deg weather. This was driving at 65-70 mph, without towing anything. I start to get some preignition(spark knock) at 220 deg. The temps are better, but I'm still not sure I could tow anything............

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Retard the ignition maybe for towing..then watch your mileage and performance go in the crapper...:(

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yeah, it does suck. Maybe time for some Aussie heads and a refresh?

:D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
A retirement project?

:D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yeah...my understanding is that it can be a slippery slope...but what do I know :p

Ford Truck Articles