Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Frame width?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Will the box off of a 1975 F250 2wd fit a 1977 f150?

I know that the high-boy's (4x4's F250's from 73-77.5) are narrow, but what about a 2wd 250 of the "highboy" era?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Yeah but the 250 my Dad is eyeballin' is 80 miles away.

The box is the same, the hole location to mount to the frame is different .

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Different? As in narrower?

Fellro

Staff member
2wd to a 150 are the same last I knew, only the 250 4x frame width was different.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Well he bought it, and it's nice and rust free. The truck came form Oregon, so it's not chock full of rust like the NoDak trucks I'm used to.

So we get another 2wd in the fleet to pluck plarts from. WooHoo!!!

Pics to come soon................

.........and the box bolts match my '79 F250 4X4, 35" wide.

Fellro

Staff member
78 and 79 have the same frame width no matter the designation. The narrow frames only apply before 77.5 model years.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
78 and 79 have the same frame width no matter the designation. The narrow frames only apply before 77.5 model years.

..............but not all pre 77.5 trucks.

I am aware of specs on the 78-79 trucks.smilieFordlogo

The question was wether a pre 77.5 2wd F250 had a narrower frame than a 77 150 4x4.

Fellro

Staff member
.........and the box bolts match my '79 F250 4X4, 35" wide.

Just was answering to this comment... it seemed that perhaps you hadn't known that... I just wanted to be sure my statement was not inferring that the later ones were also included.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Just was answering to this comment... it seemed that perhaps you hadn't known that... I just wanted to be sure my statement was not inferring that the later ones were also included.

Ah, ok. Sometimes I even confuse myself. :headbang: :)

Fellro

Staff member
I guess for the casual info searcher in the future, the F350 4x4's would have the same frame width as the 250's as well. the 150 4x4 had the wider frame like a 2wd. So basically, for bolt hole location, any F100 73-74, 150's, 2wd of 150, 250 or 350, and the 77.5 to 79 of any designation all are straight swaps. Some trim options and such would be different, but they all mount up the same. The only oddballs are the 250 and 350 73-77.5 4x4 units.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
smiliewhathesaid smilieIagree ...............except for the 73-77.5 F350 4x4, no such thing, 2wd F350's only. IIRC there wasn't an F350 4x4 till 1979.

Fellro

Staff member
Ok, I stand corrected...:headbang:

Fellro

Staff member
Ok, I stand corrected...:headbang:

Fellro

Staff member
Yet another system glitch...

Ford Truck Articles