Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Carb help

Ok. So I am a little new to older vehicles. My truck is a 1978 F-250 with a 351M in it. It has the two barrel carburetor in it with an automatic choke. I don't feel that the choke is working properly. After switching into drive while being cold it tends to die on me. I haven't had the opportunity to check if the choke is actually closing yet. Any other opinions on what it could be would be appreciated.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
What's your starting procedure? Do you give it time to actually warm up (it didn't sound like it from your post, but you need to let it warm up some)? Are there any other symptoms than just dying? How long can you go before it does on you? If for the most part, it instantaneously dies, then yes, I'd say more than likely a choke issue. If it's a sporadic problem, or if you can drive some distance, I'd say a fuel delivery issue.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I have the choke wired open on mine and if I let it warm up for 5 or 10 minutes its fine but if I try to start it up and just go itll die. It sounds like your tryin to just start it up and go. Just let it warm up for a little bit before ya drive it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I give it a couple minutes to want up and it dies when I hit the accelerator almost instantaneously when in gear.

Do you notice any smell of gas? If so, she's flooding.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Does the choke unload properly?...after running for a minute or two, if you quickly tap the accelerator does the idle drop?

So I haven't gotten a chance to get to your suggestions. I am having problems with getting it to start now. I can get it running with putting starter fluid in and it will struggle to run at first. After I get it going for a bit and warm it up it turns on and off fine.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Let us know what you think 'proper' starting technique should be...to me it sounds like you're flooding it out with a choke issue as well.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Sounds like it might be flooding to me as well. Like Ben asked, exactly how are you starting it?

I usually don't pump the gas much in the car if at all. Earlier this week it seemed like it was running fine and would fire up just like my fuel injected car. Should I be giving it more gas? I am not smelling the fuel like it is flooded so I don't think that is the issue. Is it possible fuel filter that I just replaced is plugged again and not allowing gas to go through?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Should be able to push it to the floor once, then let off and start it. Pushing it to the floor once should engage the choke, If I remember right.

If that don't work, just push it to the floor and hold it there till it starts. :wasntme:

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I usually don't pump the gas much in the car if at all. Earlier this week it seemed like it was running fine and would fire up just like my fuel injected car. Should I be giving it more gas? I am not smelling the fuel like it is flooded so I don't think that is the issue. Is it possible fuel filter that I just replaced is plugged again and not allowing gas to go through?

You need to push the accelerator all the way down to the floor once to set the choke. Then it will start on fast idle. Let it run this way for a few minutes, then hit the gas again-you'll hear the engine slow down. Don't drive until your temp gauge moves at least a little.

You said it just started this week. Did you get a cold snap in your area this week? The choke may need adjusted for colder temperatures. since we're now into November.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You need to push the accelerator all the way down to the floor once to set the choke. Then it will start on fast idle. Let it run this way for a few minutes, then hit the gas again-you'll hear the engine slow down. Don't drive until your temp gauge moves at least a little.

You said it just started this week. Did you get a cold snap in your area this week? The choke may need adjusted for colder temperatures. since we're now into November.

Quoted for truth. And then for the remainder of the day, unless left sitting for prolonged time, you should only need to hold the throttle a quarter of the way down, while simultaneously turning the key.

You need to push the accelerator all the way down to the floor once to set the choke.

Then before you do anything get out, open the hood and remove the air cleaner lid. Is the choke closed and only open about an 1/8" or so? If it is then the choke is working properly when cold. When it is warmed up do the same thing, the choke should be open all the way. If it is not make sure you have power going to the choke.

Well it had been sitting in the garage with flat tires and junk all over it for 12 years and all I did to it was put air in the tires and cleaned out the fuel lines as well as got a new fuel pump. After it stopped working on me (could be because I wasn't starting it properly) I decided to change the fuel filter that looked pretty old. I have been told if you don't really know what you are doing on a choke you can cause more harm than good. Should I try to adjust it or just leave it as is?

Do the above steps I mentioned then report back. That will determine wether or not it needs adjusting.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts