Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anybody see anything wrong with my VIN???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I just got off the phone with the Ford R&D department and apparently Red doesn't exist. I was attempting to get a 'build sheet' for it to throw in the scrap book. They said the VIN isn't right and have no corresponding records for my truck. The VIN I sent them is consistent with the VIN plate on the door, title and insurance card. The only place I haven't checked is on the frame (but the truck never had a cab swap). Anyway, here's the VIN:

F26SN086112

Even if it was a VIN from a replacement door (which it isn't), I figured I'd at least get some information back.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I just got off the phone with the Ford R&D department and apparently Red doesn't exist. I was attempting to get a 'build sheet' for it to throw in the scrap book. They said the VIN isn't right and have no corresponding records for my truck. The VIN I sent them is consistent with the VIN plate on the door, title and insurance card. The only place I haven't checked is on the frame (but the truck never had a cab swap). Anyway, here's the VIN:

F26SN086112

Even if it was a VIN from a replacement door (which it isn't), I figured I'd at least get some information back.

Well the first three characters F26= F250 4x4
Fourth character S= 400 V8 2bbl
Fifth character N = Norfolk VA assembly
remaining six would equal build sequence code (Note for 1977 model year there were no letters used in the sequence code)

So unless FMC lost the records or you mis-read one of the last six numbers i don't know why FMC has no record.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well the first three characters F26= F250 4x4
Fourth character S= 400 V8 2bbl
Fifth character N = Norfolk VA assembly
remaining six would equal build sequence code (Note for 1977 model year there were no letters used in the sequence code)

So unless FMC lost the records or you mis-read one of the last six numbers i don't know why FMC has no record.

Thanks man...turst me, I've had the thing decoded several times as well as the WP...so everything matches up...and I KNOW I haven't misread the VIN. I just thought it would be cool to add this thing, no big deal though considering I do have the original build sheet. I just wanted to see if anyone would have an explaination...I'm thinking lost records or incomepetent workers. The guy that called me said that it should be 17 digits and have a '1' in front. So that made me less than confident.

Yeah I was thinking perhaps your truck is too old... Is there a limit for how far their records go back?

They told me that they have ALL the records back to the 60's and before that is hit or miss.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
.....incomepetent workers. The guy that called me said that it should be 17 digits and have a '1' in front. So that made me less than confident.

The guy that called you is an idiot, 11 digits only on those models, and they all started with a letter in the first digit.

Maybe in a few weeks start the process all over and re-submit your request, maybe this time you will get an employee that knows what they are doing.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The guy that called you is an idiot, 11 digits only on those models, and they all started with a letter in the first digit.

Maybe in a few weeks start the process all over and re-submit your request, maybe this time you will get an employee that knows what they are doing.

Yeah...that's what I told him...then he put me on hold...after 5 minutes I hung up. However, they didn't have any problems with my Bronco. No biggie, like you said, I'll try again in a few weeks. I'll snap a pic for them this time around.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It must be whoever opens the email. I didn't get the guy who doesn't know how many numbers/letters are in the VIN of a vintage Ford. What does a build sheet look like anyway UFtball68?

You mean the faux build sheet you can get from Ford these days, or an actual original build sheet? Either way, the new one is essentially a 'letter' that lists what your vehicle came with. An original build sheet will look sorta like what you'd see as window sticker on a new car, but more like an excel spreadsheet...if that makes sense. I'm sure Dennis probably has a photo of one scanned in, if he'd be willing to post it.

And for the record...you can call me Ben

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
When you email them for a copy of your build sheet this is what they send you (this is the build sheet for my truck)

1995F150BuildSheet2.jpg

And just for chits and gigs, here's my orig window stickers :) (hint: the red one is the build sheet for my truck as a reg cab, then add the price of the blue one for the crew cab Centurion package)

windowsticker.jpg

windowsticker2.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...that's what you'll get...it's more of a courtesy thing than an exact replacement thing. However, it does list everything your truck had...so no need to worry or think about it anymore.

You have an 0 (zero) where an O (Oh) should be

77BuildNumberscloseup.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
WOW...thanks for that Dennis. So you're saying that 6th digit is an 'OH'...and not a 'Zero'. Why would they put a letter in the sequence number?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
HAHAHA...I love Brian Reagan...and for the record, I would have never imagined that would have been 'OH'. Thanks again Dennis.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You'd think the guy that decodes VINs for a living would have thought of that.

No kidding...but as I said...I don't think competence was on my side, the guy said it should be a 17 digit VIN.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well now...this is getting a little frustrating...just got off the phone with the folks at Ford, and they said they don't use "Oh's" or "I's" in their VINs. So now we're back to my truck not existing...haha.

Ford Truck Articles