Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Performance Distributor Options: What should I go for?

So apparently I have been having distributor problems this whole time, and have gone through 4 of them (luckily under warranty). Been having to get ones for a 1971 360 5.9L when my engine is a 1974 360 5.9L. The 1974 has a harness for an ignition module which is non-existent in my vehicle, was never there.

Needless to say, I am now tired of pulling over to re-adjust the point on this damn thing when it comes loose, going to get something soon that will be good and last a good long while.

Been looking at a few performance distributors, but wanted to see some feedback. Not looking at spending 500 or 600, more like around 150 to 250 will be my price range.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
For a stock engine I'd look at an original Duraspark system.

I am going with the Per Tronix Billet Distributor with vacuum advance - model #D130700
http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instruction-sheets/D130700.pdf

That is my max around 250 to spend on a good distributor (ordered).

My next thought is the best iginition coil to use with it. I was thinking about the ACCEL Super Stock High Vibration Coil model #8140HV
http://shop.accel-ignition.com/igni...ion-coils/superstock-high-vibration-coil.html

Any thoughts? Positive or negative? I have read a few things about frying a distributor with certain coils, Per Tronix of course recommends their coils, so I may end up going with one of theirs to keep it safe.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Coil should not matter.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I have an HEI distributor on my 400 in my 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat, it was in the truck when I bought it two years ago, I'm going to say that they're about two or three hundred dollars for an ACCEL or an MSD distributor, and they are a lot better than the old Dura Spark II ignition system , you can get these distributors at Autozone and Advance Auto Parts. I'm finding mine to be rather reliable. With the coil on the distributor cap all in one neat little package.smilieFordlogosmilieFordlogo

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Hei is the way to go if you didn't already order the pertronics

Regardless, anything better than puling over on side of road and adjusting points? :p (going to run over that damn thing once it's switched... :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Regardless, anything better than puling over on side of road and adjusting points? :p (going to run over that damn thing once it's switched... :)

Yeah...the OEM Duraspark II unit..cheap and reliable..carry a spare module with you.
Even on my 434 which is far from stock I am using the OEM distributor coupled with an MSD control box.

I also got the HEI

for about 70bux, and you have to get wires to match as well. I am using one on my 360, going on 3 years, and one on my 4x4 351c, love them both.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I believe it was 1973 and 1976 for the first and 2nd generation...I might be wrong though.... but in any case the D2 will drop in.

I'm with Duncan on this... The stock duraspark system that was factory on a '74 would serve you just fine.

The only problem with that is I would have to get the whole ignition module as well, as it was never on the truck when I got it. A previous owner must have removed it at some point and replaced the distributor with an earlier version, 1971 is what I was having to get, with the single wire, not the wiring harness. I'll see how it all goes when I get the per tronix, if any more problems, I may just do that and get the original ignition module as well.

They ordered me the wrong one (gear ratio and shaft were much smaller, no good), going with jeggs, see what happens then. This is the most disturbing distributor nightmare ever, going on #9 distributor (as usual, 3 days, and the dizzy quits....) not to mention there is some pretty disturbing fluctuation in spark plug gap specs out there... getting everything from 35 to 44.... that's a big difference...

I went through 3 reman dizzy's

and decided to go with the HEI, as far as sp plug gap, the resistor type plug will have the larger .044 gap, if I remember correctly. If you are going to elect. ign. I'd use the larger gap on any plug installed.

I have a davis unified ignition (DUI). Gives plenty of spark and easy hookup. One wire! Seen them in summit for around your price range. Mine is running in a 351M, slightly modified. Good luck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts