Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2 Questions: Rims, and Transmission

Sorry, more questions, on a roll again with some final major work...

Question 1: I am dropping transmission end of week to change the flywheel, clutch, and u-joints. I found this Eaton Transmission, 5 speed on CL (link below) from a newer ford. Will it and can it fit on my 1974 F350 with 360 5.9L engine? If so, then what should I be prepared for trouble wise (assuming just won't fit right)?

https://asheville.craigslist.org/pts/5120174081.html

Question 2 (More important): I am also going to finally get rid of the split rims. The only ones I found that match are from etrailer (link below). All specs match (lug spacing, pilot hole, notch for back dullies, offset, etc.), did the measurements, and load limit for each rim is 3500, more than enough. I know they are trailer rims, and that is all they tell me when I have talked to them through email. I have also included pics of my current rims, exactly the same (below link to new rims).

http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Taskmaster/TTW660865SDX1C.html

0812151010.jpg

0812151011.jpg

0812151009.jpg

0812151010a.jpg

0812151011a.jpg

Last edited:
Wheels.

You should be able to get good used aluminum take offs from alot of different year F350's, it would also lighten the unsprung weight by a bunch.

I'd get in contact with a transmission shop on the trans swap, what engine was in the f600?

Fellro

Staff member
That uses an SAE style bell, which is completely incompatible with the FE motor you have. You would need an adapter to also hook it up. Next, input shaft will be absolutely different from your current trans, and a multitude of other things, such as 2-3 times the weight of your current trans. The u-joint on them is also huge, so custom driveline would be needed. Also, the 5th gear is 1:1, not an overdrive.

For the wheels, a couple things to be aware of. I don't see it in the rear wheel pics, but the extra hole between the lugs on the front rim is often necessary as there is a pin that sticks out of the hub sometimes that aligns the wheels so that the valve stems are always available, and the holes on the rims align. I do believe the center hole on trailer rims are large enough, but can't say absolutely. GM wheels are slightly smaller in the center, so commonly can not be used on Fords. Dodge rims generally can be used though. You can go up to 96 of Ford F series rims, possibly to current day on the E series wheels, and I think Dodge also maintained the old SAE bolt pattern to current. There is a little difference between 2wd and 4wd rims, so you want to get a compete set of whichever you do get, as the offset is a bit wider on 4wd rims.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts