Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1997 F250 5.8l

just bought this truck and wondering things i could do to it to get more power out of it. i know its 2wd but i am also wondering what i can do to it to make it get through more stuff. Also how do i find out what gears are in it now? t

1997 f250 regular cab long bed with a 351 windsor, 3 inch body lift on 33 inch all terrains, 2wd.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Easy things to do would be to make sure your rear axle has limited slip, that would greatly increase the type of terrain the truck can make it through. It's not a replacement for 4wd, but it will keep the truck from getting stopped by a tiny puddle of mud or an over-sized cow pie. :p

The exhaust is fairly restrictive, so getting some long tube headers and new exhaust all the way back can wake it up a good 10 hp.

You might also consider the electric fan swap, which will give you a little more power, but not a ton.

After those kinds of modifications, you can get more power, but you're talking about making actual engine mods and taking stuff apart.

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The cost of these trucks will usually make it cheaper to just buy a new truck than go to the trouble of a swap.

I wouldn't worry too much about the intake system. With stock heads and camshaft, it's not very restrictive, and it's sort of already set up with 'cold air.' Usually those K&N setups actually draw in warm air from the engine bay, making it perform a little worse.

Ryan

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
stock intake is fine... works great... had plenty of flow with my old flareside that with a modded 351W that threw down 321hp and 394 tq...

it's fine...

cam heads and headers and exhaust... thats what a stock 5.8 needs..

Ford Truck Articles