Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Windshield gasket sealant

Have an 02 Taurus that's leaking water at the top of the windshield, and the gasket is doing this...

ZzPUiXF.jpg

It'll pretty much pull out all the way around the windshield. Guess I need to take it all out, clean the edge of the windshield interface with a degreaser and nylon brush, pump a bunch of sealant in there and reinstall the gasket.

What kind of cleaner and sealant should I use for this job? Any advice appreciated.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
There is no "sealer" in there.
the gasket is disintegrating, and should be replaced.
Not only does the gasket keep water out, but it keeps the glass in in the event the air bags go off

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Might also try posting this in the general automotive forum for this site, since we don't have a Taurus subforum, but, regardless, Charlie answered your question.

Fellro

Staff member
The windshield is actually glued in, the rubber is just trim. But if the glue lets go, and it does occasionally especially if the vehicle is always outside, then the only true fix is to have it cut out and resealed.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
If it's leaking, the glue failed.
Just had to replace the windshield in my 02 f250 because of this. The glue actually came off clear down to the primer.
It was loose in the truck. leaked down into the fuse panel. Common problem in that truck.

same thing with my 90 f 250. Had to make the local glass company put the windshield in that truck 3 times because the glue wouldn't set properly.

I'll try to post pictures from my phone, the lap top won't post on this site for some reason.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You have to remove the glass, then cut and clean the adhesive down to bare metal. Then you primer it, 2 coats.
After it sits 24 hrs, you reset the glass.
a5c20030bcd708ff09f1e6565113e6b4.jpg
6a1f56205fb5ec75c89e3ea5d4c23dd4.jpg
1f6f1c405064909914f747159f5462f5.jpg
fa5d05d5d2dc903f6bb918c90632ff7c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ford Truck Articles