Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Technology challenged

blacksnapon

Staff member
How many of you find yourselves struggling to keep up with the new technology in the automotive world? What kind of analyzing equipment have you purchased to try and keep up?:headbang:

I bought a new oil filter wrench and a good set of stubby wrenches the other day. No Im not kiddin.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I bought a new oil filter wrench and a good set of stubby wrenches the other day. No Im not kiddin.
I've got every bit of 30k worth of tools, and it seems as if I need 30 more. The tools you buy for this years model, wont work on next years.:headbang:

blacksnapon

Staff member
A while back, had a fellow come in needing a tune up for his 67 chevvy. Should have seen the techs scratching their heads. I had the point adjusting tool, nobody had a dwell meter.

Fellro

Staff member
It's always fun to see the new techs try to figure out the old iron, kind of like discussions about putting a chip on a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI... But when it comes to the newer stuff, run into troubles on OBD II's. I understand the systems, but to actually outright read codes and diagnose accordingly, I don't do as well, just have been away from that part of the field too long. My knowledge is already getting dated, as far as codes and such go. The systems largely work the same way, just read more info. One of these years, I may invest in a new scan tool, but I still need it to handle OBD I's as well, the one I have has a power supply problem, drops out all the time, needs replaced anyway.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
purchased my own IDS

Welcome aboard Dogloop. Always good to have another hand on deck to help out.

On the issue of technology....I don't know much about working on cars but other professions are no different. Went to the doctor a year or so back and some young intern comes in. I explain the issue to him and he pulls out a palm pilot. I ask him what he was doing and he told me he was "looking up what was wrong with me" I kindly asked him to send in the guy that stores that information in his head.

Technology...Love it and hate it all at the same time.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Welcome aboard Dogloop. Always good to have another hand on deck to help out.

On the issue of technology....I don't know much about working on cars but other professions are no different. Went to the doctor a year or so back and some young intern comes in. I explain the issue to him and he pulls out a palm pilot. I ask him what he was doing and he told me he was "looking up what was wrong with me" I kindly asked him to send in the guy that stores that information in his head.

Technology...Love it and hate it all at the same time.
Uh, so you wanted the guy that still used the rubber glove, with the big fingers?

ponyracer

Certified Ford Tech
I just have to ask, "how many of you still have the blinking blue 12:00 on your vcr? LMAO

Sorry when I read the headline that was the first thing that came to mind and I lost it.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I just have to ask, "how many of you still have the blinking blue 12:00 on your vcr?
I taught my father-in-law the easy way to fix that. Simply put a piece of electrical tape over it. Then you don't have to look at it. :p

Ford Truck Articles