Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

phenolic carb spacer?

Does anybody know where I can get a 1 inch phenolic carb spacer for my Motorcraft 2bbl carb? I am spending the next couple of days installing a radiator shroud to try to bring the temp down some. My truck doesn't start well when it is hot so I am hoping that the shroud, and the spacer (if needed) might solve that issue. Starts right up when it is cold.

Thanks, Donald.

update...

I have been doing some research on line and to the best of my ability I have found that some enthusiasts have had success with the Fel-pro 60529 carb spacer. I think I will pull the carb and take a gasket with me when I go to the parts store to check this out. Hope I can find it....

Shroud installation is nearly complete. :)

Attachments

• spacer.jpg
I have been doing some research on line and to the best of my ability I have found that some enthusiasts have had success with the Fel-pro 60529 carb spacer. I think I will pull the carb and take a gasket with me when I go to the parts store to check this out. Hope I can find it....

Shroud installation is nearly complete. :)

My 360 I think ,has the spacer with the water port ,are you trying to
eliminate the heated fluid from the radiator to the carb?

Baker, the only line I see going to my carb is a small rubber vacuum tube coming out of the base of the distributor. Otherwise it only has a 1/4" gasket at the base.

Baker, the only line I see going to my carb is a small rubber vacuum tube coming out of the base of the distributor. Otherwise it only has a 1/4" gasket at the base.

Oh ,well mine has the fitting that comes off the intake manifold the hose goes
to the carb. plate ,then it comes out the back an goes to the heater core.

Its weird because with hot fluid running through there ,it seems like it would
pre-heat the fuel!....:scratch:...I thought the idea was to cool the fuel off
before it goes in the carb.?

I agree. I want to get the base of the carb higher off of the intake manifold so
it will keep the fuel cooler. Should eliminate the hot hard starting issue.
I completed the installation of the shroud today. Took the truck for a test drive to look at the difference in temp. It made NO difference at all. You would think the addition of a shroud would show some change. But nooooo....

DO'

I agree. I want to get the base of the carb higher off of the intake manifold so
it will keep the fuel cooler. Should eliminate the hot hard starting issue.
I completed the installation of the shroud today. Took the truck for a test drive to look at the difference in temp. It made NO difference at all. You would think the addition of a shroud would show some change. But nooooo....

DO'

My truck starts up easier after its been ran an warmed up ,in fact ,I'm shocked
that it starts so quickly with the old points & condenser set up ,it starts on
the first turn over of the hit of the ignition ,usually with old point set up ,it takes several cranks or turns of the engine!

Does your truck have the air con an the condenser mounted in front of the
radiator?
Also ,you might try a longer fan spacer to get the fan closer to the radiator!

CB, I removed all of the AC stuff including the small rad at the front. The only things that the engine is pulling is the alternator, power steering pump and the fan. Not sure what degree thermostat it is running. I think the fan spacer is 3 inches. Getting it closer would be a good idea. One thing, there is only about 20 miles on the engine. I had a brand new crate 360 dropped in last week. Runs sweeeeet!! :)

CB, I removed all of the AC stuff including the small rad at the front. The only things that the engine is pulling is the alternator, power steering pump and the fan. Not sure what degree thermostat it is running. I think the fan spacer is 3 inches. Getting it closer would be a good idea. One thing, there is only about 20 miles on the engine. I had a brand new crate 360 dropped in last week. Runs sweeeeet!! :)

Ahhh ,that's a whole different story then!

May just need a different thermostat ,I hope you figure it out!...:cooldude:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Here's my issue with carb spacers, unless you need the extra volume because you have the power to require it...carb spacers 'fixing' heat issues are on the same level as steering stabilizers 'fixing' death wobble. They don't actually fix anything, they just Band-Aid the actual problem. Hot start issues are most commonly a results of 1) timing too far advanced and/or 2) the starter getting heat soaked.

Ford Truck Articles