Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Belt/pulley alignment issue '91 5.8

I had my timing chain and water pump replaced and I got maybe 1000 miles down the road and my belt shredded.

I put a new belt on and noticed that its walking up the edge of the crank pulley.

I tried replacing the tensioner/tensioner pulley but it didn't help. I think the crank pullley somehow got put back on wrong?

Anybody know how I can adjust the alignment or if its even adjustable?
c9345b99cc8e41f5ae6408d4b6b548cc.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Fellro

Staff member
Unless you sleeved the balancer, it does appear to be farther out than it was before. The clean area on the seal area looksto be a ways out from the seal.Also seems like the pulley alignment is off. However, the way the belt runs seems you are too far in.

Looks like the crank pulley wasn't sucked in far enough?
Like the harmonic balancer wasn't fully pressed on?

Can I fix this without pulling the radiator? I JUST finished messing with it and my trans cooler line fittings are about stripped and are a real booger to work o. :-/

Unless you sleeved the balancer, it does appear to be farther out than it was before. The clean area on the seal area looksto be a ways out from the seal.Also seems like the pulley alignment is off. However, the way the belt runs seems you are too far in.
Can you over press a balancer though? I thought you were supposed to bottom it out. I didn't sleeve the balancer but I have no idea what the previous owner or the shoddy mechanic may have done to it. (only guy around that could fit my clubwagon on his lift)

Fellro

Staff member
Can't over press, only under press. It was only an observation based on pics, which unfortunately aren't always as good as seeing it personally.

So somehow the bracket for the smog pump is missing making the pulley all catiwompus . Anybody have one laying around? Not having a lot of luck finding one. I think the mechanic who did my timing chain lost it and never put it back on there. Either that or it straight up fell off (doubt it!) I know one of you deleted yours and you dont need it!

So somehow the bracket for the smog pump is missing making the pulley all catiwompus . Anybody have one laying around? Not having a lot of luck finding one. I think the mechanic who did my timing chain lost it and never put it back on there. Either that or it straight up fell off (doubt it!) I know one of you deleted yours and you dont need it!

I think everyone has theirs on in Calif.!.......LOL

Probably a local wrecking yard!

blacksnapon

Staff member
check the center of your p/s pulley. the shaft of the pump should be flush with the pulley. if not, the belt will "walk" its way up the pulley groove.

check the center of your p/s pulley. the shaft of the pump should be flush with the pulley. if not, the belt will "walk" its way up the pulley groove.
Thanks for the tiip. I'm was convinced the PS was the issue but the guy working on it says it's the smog. Maybe both haha

Ford Truck Articles