Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

partnership (Ford/Toyota)

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ford and Toyota are going to enter into a partnership to develop hybrid pickups and suvs.......................................:puke: :horrormovie:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Not suprised. But im not sure how economical you can get and still have power to do truck work...

Unless maybe there going to turbo charge water vapors?

Pffffft.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Aka Ford doesn't want to sink the money into the crap technology because it's going nowhere, but they still want the 'green' PR to get hippies to buy their vehicles as well.

Cash is Cash.

Ryan

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
What is the point of making a hybrid truck?

Full v8 power but be available to run on an electrical bank when power isn't needed? Maybe combining the idea's from dodge and chevy?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Oh and hybrid suburban's have no power, and we averaged 10mpg yes TEN mpg towing 2 jet ski's and the back row was stuffed with camping gear... plus 5 guys...
Oh and 2 kayak's on top...

Oh my. why toyota i wonder?:hammer: I absolutely can't stand toyota lol. Chevy, even Dodge(which is my least favorite big 3) would have been better IMO. kind of surprised, seems like more of a GM thing to do, as they've done this type of thing many a time.

But hey, I'm not in the market for a "green" f-series are you? I'm guessing the rest of the line of vehicles will be the same and not toyota partnered? hopefully not:(

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Oh my. why toyota i wonder?

They've got the "hybrid thing" down to a science. It would only make fiscal sense to me, as a FoMoCo big wig, to partner with them for this type of venture.

I won't say I like it... but I will say that, if done right, this can produce good results for ol blue.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I think of it this way - there was once a time when Ford had a stake in Volvo, Jaguar, & even land Rover. It's all about the income.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
To sell to people with more money than sense. It's a status object.

Ryan

Isn't that pretty much the point of all new vehicles today anyway. Trucks aren't trucks anymore because people wanted a living room with a transfer case. You buy a Mercedes to show how much money you have. You buy a hybrid to make yourself feel better about helping the environment. For most folks that buy what they want, a vehicle is merely a reflection of their personality and/or ego.

Hell even me, I can tell myself I'm buying a Lincoln for comfort and to be more practical...but it's crossed my mind more than once about the difference in perception between a 25 year old in a brand new Mustang vs. new(er) Lincoln. Hell even the tone of the conversations change when talking about each vehicle...everyone wants to know how fast the Mustang goes, but as soon as the Lincoln pops up, it's a classier and more mature conversation.

As you said...in the end, it comes down to the almighty dollar, perception, personalities and egos.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Isn't that pretty much the point of all new vehicles today anyway. Trucks aren't trucks anymore because people wanted a living room with a transfer case. You buy a Mercedes to show how much money you have. You buy a hybrid to make yourself feel better about helping the environment. For most folks that buy what they want, a vehicle is merely a reflection of their personality and/or ego.

Hell even me, I can tell myself I'm buying a Lincoln for comfort and to be more practical...but it's crossed my mind more than once about the difference in perception between a 25 year old in a brand new Mustang vs. new(er) Lincoln. Hell even the tone of the conversations change when talking about each vehicle...everyone wants to know how fast the Mustang goes, but as soon as the Lincoln pops up, it's a classier and more mature conversation.

As you said...in the end, it comes down to the almighty dollar, perception, personalities and egos.

To an extent I agree. People like luxury so it can come down to taste & preference. I didn't buy my pickup (granted it's not new so this isn't as relevant) for status. I needed something more reliable than the ole '94 with 4wd and a pickup bed. At the same time I like a sweet radio, ac, and that sort of thing.

When you buy an Escalade Hybrid, you're at the other end of the spectrum.

They're all purpose built, but as far as why the companies are doing it - it's so cut & dry. It seems glaringly obvious to me that Ford doesn't want to lay out the capital to sink into a technology that will never be mainstream. We'll switch to compressed natural gas before hybrids become the norm.

PR without the R&D pricetag. Hippies love that stuff and they spend their money on the STUPIDEST stuff. At the end of the day, Ford will make a few bucks.

Ryan

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
hi Ben, and of course everybody else:)
I do recognize a lot in what you write.. when I bought my Landrover in 1989, it was a "boysdream"for many of my age ( I was 29 then) the LR and the Willys and I could notice that!! jealous eyes and... always the same questions: "how much did it cost ya?" "how much horsepower?" or "I reckon you need a gasstation on wheels behind you"? right now with my Ford actually the same questions!!

Three years ago I started an Engineering works... just in the financial crisis.. Because Ford trucks are rare here, a lot of people think that I'm making so much money that I have a brand new one! We started a piantshop as well, so my truck is freshly coloured!!when I tell those nosy buggers that the truck is 17 years old and that I bought it for 1800dollars, their jaw falls open at their "familyjewels"
To me a truck is like a tugboat and nothing can compare with that. Ford as still a very "malelook" All those Japanese 4x4's, Dodges, Mercedeses and 'Beemers are to feminine... but "beauty is in the eye of the beholder

best regards Ton

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris

Couldnt agree more.

I mean, jesus, we got jeeps with fully independent suspension.

Pickup trucks (Rams) with Coil springs in back....

It has baffled me for years WHAT people would want with a 1/2 or 3/4ton truck witha 5 or 6ft box?

John Q public has done nothing but ruin the truck market for those of us who want a REAL truck.

Now we got trucks with Navigation, heated/cooled leather 20 way seats, etc etc, but we can no longer get a truck with a Manual Transmission, a Manual transfer case, Soild axles, real bumpers, ground clearence, etc etc.

I for one would LOVE to see a manufacturer (prefferably Ford) Come out with "retro" styled trucks simliar to what theyve done with pony cars.

Styled like a 73-77, with 2 solid axles, a manual transmission, with a 6.8L V10 or a 7.3PSD.

I know i know, keep dreaming.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Couldnt agree more.

I mean, jesus, we got jeeps with fully independent suspension.

Pickup trucks (Rams) with Coil springs in back....

It has baffled me for years WHAT people would want with a 1/2 or 3/4ton truck witha 5 or 6ft box?

John Q public has done nothing but ruin the truck market for those of us who want a REAL truck.

Now we got trucks with Navigation, heated/cooled leather 20 way seats, etc etc, but we can no longer get a truck with a Manual Transmission, a Manual transfer case, Soild axles, real bumpers, ground clearence, etc etc.

I for one would LOVE to see a manufacturer (prefferably Ford) Come out with "retro" styled trucks simliar to what theyve done with pony cars.

Styled like a 73-77, with 2 solid axles, a manual transmission, with a 6.8L V10 or a 7.3PSD.

I know i know, keep dreaming.

that would be so awesome!!!!smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey! I have a Merc in the driveway, and I am dirt poor!

I think you left out some important letters. But I stand by that statement, unless a work vehicle, vehicles are nothing more than a status symbol...and I'm as guilty as anyone.

Ford Truck Articles