Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Finally got another engine for my '77 F-250 4x4...

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Well, I managed to find a 400M on Craigslist for $275!!!

It is in a 1980 3/4 ton Econoline that was in Hardin, Montana until 11am today when I went and picked it up.

I drove the van the 100+ miles back here to Sheridan with no windows except the cracked windshield,(redneck air conditioning) no working tail lights, (burned wiring) and barely functioning brakes. :rotz:

Mechanically, it ran great and drove great. (aside from the brakes)

The only iffy part was when I hit a big bump and a piece of the windshield went zipping past my ear, leaving a 3" x 3" hole in the center of the windshield! :wasntme:

Got it out to my friends place, where my trucks are being stored and looked the engine over to see if it had leaked any oil.

I was surprised to find that it had not even so much as dampened the thin layer of dust that was on the engine! :)

No seepage from the valve covers, the oil pan, or the front and rear mains!

Keep in mind that this particular engine is supposed to have under 1,000 miles on it.

With as great as it ran on the way home, the lack of leaks, and the appearance of the engine itself, I think I got an awesome deal!

I'll post some pics of the van and the engine in a few days, as my free time is slim to none right now.

I can't wait to get the engine in my truck! smilieFordlogo

You rock dude... We need pics!! How's the oil on the dipstick look? You keeping the tranny with it or using your present one?

SC
You'll get $275 from the crusher....nice

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Sweet man! send some pics when you get a chance :D

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
You rock dude... We need pics!! How's the oil on the dipstick look? You keeping the tranny with it or using your present one?

The oil looked decent. Not too dirty, not too clean.

As for the tranny, I have no use for it. It is a 2wd C6 and my truck is 4wd.

That and I like my 4spd manual tranny a lot better.

I've never been a fan of automatics in a truck.

The van is a 3/4 ton, and I am going to strip it of all good parts before it gets cut up for scrap.

I'll get some pics when I get a chance, hopefully later this week.

As for the tranny, I have no use for it. It is a 2wd C6 and my truck is 4wd.

Curious about it, and I know it's probably already been answered, but to use a 2WD tranny in a 4WD setup, would you just swap tailhousings or gotta do a guts swap as well?

SC
Youve got to swap the output shaft as well. Its not a huge chore on a C6 but not a 15min job either. Id just assume use the correct tranny unless I was doing a rebuild.

Being a 3/4 ton van its probably got a D60FF rear and unless its got a goof ball wms to wms its worth about $100-150 alone.

SC
You could always use a divorced 205 behind it if you didnt want to change that stuff out but that means new d-shafts and mounts. Best bet is the correct tranny to begin with.

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Finally got a chance to get some pics of the van and my new engine.

1980FordEconolinewith400Mengine001.jpg

1980FordEconolinewith400Mengine002.jpg

Fire damage
1980FordEconolinewith400Mengine003.jpg

1980FordEconolinewith400Mengine004.jpg

Smoke damaged dash and cracked windshield
1980FordEconolinewith400Mengine005.jpg

Van rear axle
1980FordEconolinewith400Mengine008.jpg

My new engine!
1980FordEconolinewith400Mengine007.jpg

View of the engine from inside van with the doghouse removed
1980FordEconolinewith400Mengine006.jpg

The van is in a lot worse shape than it looks in the pics.

Whatcha think? smilieFordlogo

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
I think the van looks pretty reggedy in the pics.....lol and it's WORSE?! ouch...clean engine..how come it's not out yet?lol

It's not out yet because I don't have much free time.
Between work, taking care of my landlord's 18 rental houses, and working for my landlord every Sunday, it doesn't leave me much time to work on my trucks.
:(
However, I did manage to get the old engine that is in my '77 completely ready to pull today.
It only took me 5 hours to get everything unbolted and all the wires unhooked. :)
This is after I worked from 7am to 3pm today, so I think that I did darn good!

Hoping to get the new engine out of the van, and into my truck before next weekend.

Only problem, is that will mean working on the truck before I go to work at noon every day.

Oh well, it'll be worth it! smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts