Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

new brake lines

I used to be a brake line virgin. I learned by doing. I could not find any good info out there either when I started the job of running all new brake lines on my truck. What I found is that it's much easier to start with straight tubing rather than to use the tubing that comes coiled up. It does mean you'll have some unions in the line on a long frame, but that's easier than trying to straighten out coiled lines. I have a regular tubing bender and I spent the extra $$ on a high quality double flare tool. The cheapos at the the auto parts stores are worthless. It really just takes time and patience to bend the brake lines. The key is measure a thousand times and bend once. You get the idea. A wrong bend can mean starting over. Not always, but most often.

Regards,

Michael

Thanks Michael. Tom posted some information that I needed in the tech area. I bought straight (pre-flared) lines. It was cheaper to buy them pre-flared than to buy straight lines and a good tool. I only needed 3 short ones to add the power brake booster and dual master cylinder under the floor.

My brakes are done. Mom and Dad bled them for me the other night. I just had 6 teeth removed and I am pretty drugged up. I am not going to try to drive it for a few days. Too dangerous.

Once I can drive it again, I will do so and then bleed them again. Just to be sure.

Forming the straight lines was really easy.

john112deere's thread helped me too. :)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Bed is bolted on, everything is together, tightened, bled, etc.

Took it half a mile down the road and back, and the brakes seem to work better than they did before all this started.

The back rides noticeably higher with the new shackles, too.

I'm still 2 weeks behind on everything else, but I've got a pounding headache, backache, and I need a nap, dammit.

*No, it didn't take me all day to get from where I was last night to where I am now- I went to my grandmothers to visit and mow her lawn, as I do every Sunday, and today we did some carpentry work for her, too.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Couldn't have done it without the help I got here.

And, Tom, anyone I know will tell you- one of me is enough!

But I could send you in thirteen different states at the same time....

Ford Truck Articles