Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

79 400 build

i have a 79 f250 with a 400 in it i wanna do some engine work to it but i cant seem to figure out what i should buy. ???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Anymore specifics??? Don't know what to buy as in specific parts, part brands, agressiveness of parts, etc???

The gold standard for overhauls in these engines is cam, intake, carb, straight up timing, headers. A little more in depth goes to some head work. After that is rotating assembly. You also have accessory items like increasing fluid capacities, alternator swaps, etc. All these items are available through Tim Meyer Inc.

im trying to do cam and lifter kit. timing chain. headers. i have intake and carb allready. and i might wanna do a set of flat top pistons but im trying to figure out was size cam i should run.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The standard for cam upgrades seems to be the comp DEH255. For a DD, you'll want to find something in .5" of lift range. Take a look at the DEH255 and XE262, and find something that falls between those specs and you should be happy. The Lunati Voodoo line have a couple cams that are gaining popularity.

alright thank you. can i still run a flat top piston with a .5 lift cam. i dont wanna order parts and then figure out that its not gonna work right lol. dont feel like breaking anything. i was looking at t meyers pistons. and ive heard i should deffently change the timing chain with everything also. what to you think about that. ?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'd really give Tim Meyer a call, great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable on these engines.
He also has damn good prices on parts as well.

Ford Truck Articles