Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > Tire Talk

View Poll Results: Which tire to get
BFG A/T KO2 4 66.67%
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 1 16.67%
Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX 0 0%
Other. 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2015, 09:55 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
needing new tires soon...

Needing new tires soon.. ones in the back are starting to look like racing slicks.. with winter right around the corner i need to get them changed soon.. but not sure what to get now... Was hoping to match what i had on the front since i only got them 10K miles ago... but apparently they discontinued the line in my size.. very aggravating... so now i gotta put something different on the back..

Wants:
Quiet ride
Long tread wear
Excellent wet traction.
great snow and ice handling
and off road handling for loose gravel and mud..

not a requirement but perk would be nice mpg too.. Michelin claimed mpg improvements but never really seen that.. but did meet all the above..

Ones im looking at.

BFG A/T KO2

Cooper Discoverer A/T3

And the Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX

I see alot of trucks with the KO's on them but when ive talked to the owners around the area i get "its just a tire.." or "thats just what they put on it.. nothing good nothing bad to say.."

keep in mind mines a dually too not SRW...

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus

Last edited by Sparky83; 11-20-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2015, 09:59 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
BFG A/T...very, very happy with them on my 350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
how noisy do they get on the highway?? good in the snow??

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 11-20-2015, 10:04 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky83 View Post
how noisy do they get on the highway?? good in the snow??
Minimal noise, perhaps a little when brand new and they did tend to pick up road gravel. Very good in snow.
Quote:
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:

Old 11-20-2015, 10:07 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFXDLI View Post
Minimal noise, perhaps a little when brand new and they did tend to pick up road gravel. Very good in snow.
read and heard that a lot about them.. one guy i talked to that said he frequently drove on small gravel roads said it was like his truck was popping popcorn with the number of rocks being flung around in his wheel wells..

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 11-20-2015, 10:12 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

Yep..and I was concerned at first and kept checking to see if any damage was happening, but not a thing.
I will never buy another tire other than these for a daily driver..
Quote:
Quote:

Old 11-20-2015, 11:01 PM
Virginia Chapter member

I almost like the AT/3's little better as theyre slightly better in price and reviews i can find on them people seem to like them.. theyre similar in design to my Mich AT/2's i have now..

the ST Maxx's have reviews stating their pretty quiet as well but they look more aggressive and kind of wonder if theyre comparing them more towards like the full on rock crawler noisy tires there...

The KO's my neighbor was saying he had issues with them during heavy rains when large pools of standing water were sitting on the roads.. which has sometimes made me wonder if its not due to their tread design...

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 11-21-2015, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
I run BFGs on my trucks and will not likely run anything else. That being said, if you are looking for an alternative to the BFG I would recommend the Toyo open country or Goodyear duratrac over the cooper.

But the old saying is especially true when it comes to tires - "your mileage may vary"

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 11-21-2015, 01:37 AM
Virginia Chapter member

crapyears will never be on my vehicles again.. havent had good luck with them and narrowly avoided totaling 2 vehicles because of them... so they wont ever be put back on by me,,,

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 11-21-2015, 08:00 AM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
A friend just put the Discoverer AT/3s on his Ranger.

He was replacing his second set of the BFG KO's and wanted a third, but the AT3s were significantly cheaper so he figured to give them a try. Price was his only complaint with the BFGs.

All he's had to say so far is that they're a lot quieter and smoother than his badly worn BFGs were (but new BFGs would be, too).

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling