Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > Tire Talk

Old 08-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Ben's turbine rim restoration chronicles...

So as most of you know, I've had a set of turbine rims I've been wanting to throw on the Bronco for a while. The bad part, the were painted black and I didn't have a new set of tires to throw on them. Well I got a set of tires, so I needed to clean up the rims. The rims aren't done yet, but cleaned enough to where I'm comfortable mounting them on the rig. I started by buying 2 cans of 'airplane stripper'. I sprayed the stripper on, the longer you let it sit, the easier the paint comes off. The can said 5-15 minutes...I sprayed all the rims at the same time, so some sat as long as 30 mins. As noted, the longer they sat, the easier the paint came off. I wasn't sure how the paint would lift off, so I bought some paint brushes to 'brush' off the lifted paint...that won't work, it'll just smear. Then I thought a garden hose might wash it off like rim cleaner...didn't work either. Then I saw my little bros 3000psi pressure washer...that worked...really well. All in all, took about 45 mins start to finish...super glad I found the pressure washer. And now for the pics:

I started with these:

I used this stuff...found at autozone:

Use the gloves...I got some on my leg and its still burning an hour later after a shower.

I also used this:

Here's my jig...hehe:

And this was the end result:

The remaining work can be done with tires on and on the vehicle. The plan is to polish the face if the fins and paint match everything else with the dark brown metallic of the Bronco.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Cool, I've always liked that style...I'll bet they will look great painted like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Lookin good Benny.

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 08-01-2013, 09:05 PM

slmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond repute
looks good Ben
Old 08-13-2013, 07:06 AM

canafford is on a distinguished road
I'm sure those wheels will look sweet once you're done painting them. Keep us updated.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 AM

m78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTfball68 View Post

The remaining work can be done with tires on and on the vehicle. .

Thats a lot of buffing to have to work around the tires.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
^^^I'll probably just hit it with a portable sand blaster, paint and polish the flats of the fins.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Ben
Old 08-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

And here they are actually on the Bronco...can't figure out how to get the doggon iphone pics to rotate the way I want...the look good in the gallery and my phone but post 90* off.

Quote:
Inspired by Ian

Ben
Old 08-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Fire in the hole...

nobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond repute
For those pesky airplanes that you just can't seem to get rid of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTfball68 View Post

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. - CPT Parker - April 19th, 1775, Lexington
Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

Duh...why else would anyone have the stuff.

Quote:
Inspired by Ian

Ben