Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > Tire Talk

Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Mustangs and other performance cars kinda fall into a different category. If you have such a car, or tires from one, use caution. I assume those are low profile? The shorter the sidewall the more the air pressure will affect handling. With traditional sized tires, I still stand by my original statement.

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
With the way cars are getting, more and more of them are getting low profile tires.

The wheels we are using are only 1 inch taller than factory. They are 17" wheels. 18" wheels were available so it's kind of a moot point. I believe an over inflated tire also wears the center of the tread much quicker.

Ryan
Old 08-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Rattlecan View Post
Ben, careful doing that.

I am telling you, we aired up Erica's tires on the Mustang to the max 44psi and the things felt like basketballs, handling was dangerous.

Ryan
No worries...wasn't planning on, was just clarifying the theory. I fully expect to be back in my 80-85% of max pressure within a week.

Quote:
I believe an over inflated tire also wears the center of the tread much quicker.

Ryan
That's true in any of my experience.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 08-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
With the way cars are getting, more and more of them are getting low profile tires.

The wheels we are using are only 1 inch taller than factory. They are 17" wheels. 18" wheels were available so it's kind of a moot point. I believe an over inflated tire also wears the center of the tread much quicker.

Ryan
The mfgrs maximum safe pressure is not overinflation.

Not saying anybody is wrong, just expressing the opposite view here. Both are correct, there are pros and cons to inflating to the vehicle mfgrs pressure and the tire mfgrs pressure. Up to you, based or your individual vehicle.

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 AM
Licensed to Represent!

taxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, now I'm really confused....I guess my number 1 priority would be long lasting, so would that be inflating to max pressure or somewhere in between as no to wear the inside by over-inflating?

2006 F150 King Ranch
2007 Expedition EB

www.taxreliever.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
Or, as the great Greek philosopher Testiclees once said: "Man who goes through turnstyle in airport is going to Bangkok."
Old 08-22-2012, 06:34 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Just to add to the confusion, I use 10.5 X 15 Load Range C tires. The owner's manual (1978) lists the preferred tire pressure as 35 psi. The maximum pressure listed on the sidewall at some maximum weight is 50 psi. I usually run 42 psi to split the difference. With nothing in the bed of the truck, anything above 42 gives a pretty harsh ride. I haven't had any excess wear on the center of the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxreliever View Post
Ok, now I'm really confused....I guess my number 1 priority would be long lasting, so would that be inflating to max pressure or somewhere in between as no to wear the inside by over-inflating?

I would not run max psi...you WILL wear out the centers. As for tire life, my personal opinion...I think you'd be just fine running them as low as 60% max psi...any lower than that and you're going to start seeing weird wear patterns on the shoulders of the tires. Personally, I think if you run your tires somewhere between 75-90% you'll capture the best of all worlds, and the difference in tire life will be negligible.

All that being said...let me add even further confusion...I also believe tire rotation time frames are a hoax that rate on up there with oil change intervals. So my tires only get rotated at every oil change, which I've said before is somewhere between 10-15k (depending on oil used and conditions). I wear my tires out to somewhere in the 4/32" range...and that's at a psi I deem acceptable. In doing so, I have never had any issue getting 30-35k out of (truck) bias tires and usually pull 45-50k out of (truck) radials and have never had an issue pulling 50-60k out of (passenger car) radials. Doesn't matter manufacturer, warranties, style of tire, etc. And that's at least, if not better, than average for the life expectancy of those tires.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Ben
Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Licensed to Represent!

taxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond reputetaxreliever has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Just to add to the confusion, I use 10.5 X 15 Load Range C tires. The owner's manual (1978) lists the preferred tire pressure as 35 psi. The maximum pressure listed on the sidewall at some maximum weight is 50 psi. I usually run 42 psi to split the difference. With nothing in the bed of the truck, anything above 42 gives a pretty harsh ride. I haven't had any excess wear on the center of the tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTfball68 View Post
I would not run max psi...you WILL wear out the centers. As for tire life, my personal opinion...I think you'd be just fine running them as low as 60% max psi...any lower than that and you're going to start seeing weird wear patterns on the shoulders of the tires. Personally, I think if you run your tires somewhere between 75-90% you'll capture the best of all worlds, and the difference in tire life will be negligible.

All that being said...let me add even further confusion...I also believe tire rotation time frames are a hoax that rate on up there with oil change intervals. So my tires only get rotated at every oil change, which I've said before is somewhere between 10-15k (depending on oil used and conditions). I wear my tires out to somewhere in the 4/32" range...and that's at a psi I deem acceptable. In doing so, I have never had any issue getting 30-35k out of (truck) bias tires and usually pull 45-50k out of (truck) radials and have never had an issue pulling 50-60k out of (passenger car) radials. Doesn't matter manufacturer, warranties, style of tire, etc. And that's at least, if not better, than average for the life expectancy of those tires.
Thanks for adding more confusion and also thanks for giving me some clarity and peace of mind at the same time.

Max PSI wearing the centers make me comfortable staying away from those high numbers on the side wall of the tires, mine being 50 at some max weight like Doug was talking about. I'm running my Bronco's at 40, which is 80% and FINALLY NOW feel comfortable leaving that and getting good life out them. They are pretty much brand new when I bought the Bronco the other week. Now, I'll have to check all our other vehicles. I'm curious to see how much I put in the dent cause when I took it out of storage, those things were super low. I got some air compressor gadgets for my birthday earlier this month which includes tire inflation stuff, so I'm happy about that.

On rotation, since we only put a few thousand (2-4k) miles on any of our vehicles in any given year, I rotate the tires once a year just because I can and that's served me well to keep all four the same wear until it's time to replace them.

Now that most of our vehicles have synthetic oil in them, I have to keep track of all this crap. I used to take our vehicles to prompto and had them adjust the tire pressure at every fill up and as soon as i left there every other oil change, I rotated the tires. Now that our oil is changed every other year or so, I want to keep better track personally.
2006 F150 King Ranch
2007 Expedition EB

www.taxreliever.com

Quote:
Or, as the great Greek philosopher Testiclees once said: "Man who goes through turnstyle in airport is going to Bangkok."
Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxreliever View Post
Thanks for adding more confusion and also thanks for giving me some clarity and peace of mind at the same time.

Max PSI wearing the centers make me comfortable staying away from those high numbers on the side wall of the tires, mine being 50 at some max weight like Doug was talking about. I'm running my Bronco's at 40, which is 80% and FINALLY NOW feel comfortable leaving that and getting good life out them. They are pretty much brand new when I bought the Bronco the other week. Now, I'll have to check all our other vehicles. I'm curious to see how much I put in the dent cause when I took it out of storage, those things were super low. I got some air compressor gadgets for my birthday earlier this month which includes tire inflation stuff, so I'm happy about that.

On rotation, since we only put a few thousand (2-4k) miles on any of our vehicles in any given year, I rotate the tires once a year just because I can and that's served me well to keep all four the same wear until it's time to replace them.

Now that most of our vehicles have synthetic oil in them, I have to keep track of all this crap. I used to take our vehicles to prompto and had them adjust the tire pressure at every fill up and as soon as i left there every other oil change, I rotated the tires. Now that our oil is changed every other year or so, I want to keep better track personally.
Sounds like you'll need a ledger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

Quote:
Sounds like you'll need a ledger.
Heath???????

Quote:
Inspired by Ian

Ben