Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hey Austin! Or whoever

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Have a question here...

My 4 wheeler has aluminum wheels. They're painted black from the factory. Like so:
9e4a3ybe.jpg

I'm wondering how crazy I am to think a guy could strip them and polish them to look like this: (same wheel but factory polished)
ha3ebegy.jpg

My first thought is that it's probably more work than i want to do... And I'm also considering getting some itp ss312s instead and forgetting the factory ones. Like this

a9uqenez.jpg

What say ye?

Last edited:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I can get the set for only $300.

Polishing the factory wheels has always floated around my head since I found they are the same aluminum wheels as the white machines.

Any special reason why the vote for the ss?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Once you polish those rims it will be a chore to keep them looking good unless you anodize them...you could try a clear coat but given the kind of conditions that the rims will see, I suspect it will be an ongoing maintenance item.

Also, if they are anything like the Yamaha factory rims, they are not that strong...my buddy had them on his Grizzly and bent the crap out of them after a couple of years, including one real bad one that trashed the rim.

Also, those rims carry a lifetime warranty as far as I know and I can tell you from my own experience that they are damn near indestructible.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Did not consider the strength of the factory ones compared to the itps.

I have heard that they are heavier though? The price of strength I guess.

You're running 212s on yours, right?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes, the 212's and mine were not much heavier than my factory aluminum ones...the tires on the other hand were.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Ford Truck Articles