Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear Main

Michigan
Hey, I had my rear main replaced when i first got my bronco, and while he was doing it he called me and said that the spring wore through the seal and made a grove, So he said he will do something to help it seal. Well its leaking again. Not terribly bad but enough for it to be moist from the oil. Im planning on taking it back in tomorrow, but what can be done now? Id think im just SOL! Especially on a motor with 74K on it.

Fellro

Staff member
You can get a ready sleeve. Sometimes the seals can wear a groove in the crank surface, and then they leak. The sleeve gives it a new sealing surface. Trick to it is, you have to be careful putting it on so it doesn't get distorted. We use those sleeves all the time on ag equipment and heavy trucks.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yup, thats what I was going to say Roger.

They say if you're going to replace your rear main you should just put on a repair sleeve while you're in there, for good measure.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I'm not looking forward to mine at all, but that's part of the reason I'm pulling the engine and trans. Not to mention the new heads/intake/cleanup I want to do. You should see the huuuuge spot under my truck (on a BIG piece of cardboard) in the garage right now.

Ford Truck Articles