Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Marine Motor

Michigan
Hey my dads buddy at work said he could have a 351W out of a boat. Im guessing its a carburated 4BBL HO just like the one thats in my dads boat

Picture110.jpg

But i heard there is a difference in the MARINE motors than a regular 351W and does anyone know? Or is that a myth??

I tore apart a MARINE 2.3L out of a fourwinns boat, and then tore apart a 2.3L out of a ford ranger, i went to use the Marine crank in the Ranger 2.3 and NO WAY man. The crank journals on that marine motor is ALOT bigger than the one from that ranger. So would that rule out being able to put a stroker crank in it? Also anyone know if the MARINE 351 has 4 bolt mains? Any info will be great. Thanks guys

No real differences in block heads etc.... No Windsor ever had 4 bolt mains. (The Boss 302 had 4 bot mains and while some people mistakingly call 302's Windsors; that's not correct.)

The main difference on a "marine" motor have to do with anything fuel, spark and corrision.

Marine carbs will have J discharge tubes.

Starters will be specific so not to create any external sparks.

Brass freeze plugs.

I believe all 351 Ford marine motors use GT-40 heads (vintage '93-'95 Lightning)

Cams are usually marine specific since marine motors spend a lot of time near max RPM.

Interesting air filter on that motor pictured:

Looks like an oiled K&N......a slight departure from a Coast Guard mandated spark arrestor.

BTW, the journal size on the 2.3 wasn't due to being a marine motor; Ford changed journal sizes:

http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/ford-bronco-articles.html

Last edited:
No real differences in block heads etc.... No Windsor ever had 4 bolt mains. (The Boss 302 had 4 bot mains and while some people mistakingly call 302's Windsors; that's not correct.)

The main difference on a "marine" motor have to do with anything fuel, spark and corrision.

Marine carbs will have J discharge tubes.

Starters will be specific so not to create any external sparks.

Brass freeze plugs.

I believe all 351 Ford marine motors use GT-40 heads (vintage '93-'95 Lightning)

Cams are usually marine specific since marine motors spend a lot of time near max RPM.

Interesting air filter on that motor pictured:

Looks like an oiled K&N......a slight departure from a Coast Guard mandated spark arrestor.

BTW, the journal size on the 2.3 wasn't due to being a marine motor; Ford changed journal sizes:

http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/ford-bronco-articles.html

Another difference, depending on the application, is rotation. My 427 Interceptor marine engine in my boat is right hand.

Another difference, depending on the application, is rotation. My 427 Interceptor marine engine in my boat is right hand.

100% correct on older applications; especially on twin motor set ups.

I think Ford powered ski-boats also used reverse roatation.

HOWEVER, modern set ups are pretty much all standard rotation (counter clockwise looking at the flywheel) and on twin motors the reverse rotation is handled through the drive.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts