Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

302 Head rebuild

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I have a set of heads thatI'm redoing off a 94 302 . Just wanted to know what needs done to open them up. (machining and rockers )

I built them before in stock lay out . But what to ask for when getting them cleaned up for proformance.

As for roller rockers ETC r there any Good cam /rockers kits you have used?

Thanks

Fellro

Staff member
I don't know complete details, but I always hear ope up the exhaust side, as the 302 and 351w are restrictive on the exhaust side.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
If your taking them to a performance shop, they should be able to port and polish them. If your lucky do you happen to have a mustang shop around? They will know whats good. But same as Fellro said, exhaust ports and passages are restrictive.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
If your taking them to a performance shop, they should be able to port and polish them. If your lucky do you happen to have a mustang shop around? They will know whats good. But same as Fellro said, exhaust ports and passages are restrictive.

Just got the basic machine shop but the guy is good. I guess the question is basically what to throw in them . No proformace shops around here do in house work .

As for a stang shop maybe 3-4 hours away is the closest.

I have a complete GT 40 set up on shelf but have eye on a Crew like Skandocious truck. That needs motor. And My truck has a tap driving me nuts.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
If your going for power maybe bigger valves, and a port and polish, if just to get rid of tap, then a valve job and basic rebuild.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I would have larger valves installed and a port and polish with roller rockers. But then it depends on the $$ because you mabe able to buy some aftermarket heads for the same kind of money.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I have extra set heads so it will be a swap .I may just get both rebuilt and use one to fix tap . Till I see if I get the other truck . The rollers sound good I have to see how extreme I can go before cam ETc problems .

I wish Conanski (He signed up but no posts )would chime in
he has his truck set up about how I want.

I wish Conanski (He signed up but no posts )would chime in he has his truck set up about how I want.
So much catching up to do... so little time. beer emoticon

OK.. what do you need to know? You can do quite a bit to the stock heads, and they will respond and give you more power. As stated.. for the cost of new valves and the machine work necessary to have them installed you can pick up some used GT40's, so that's not money well spent IMO. You can make the stock heads work better for the cost of a carbide bit($20), all it takes is a weekend or two of your time and some patience to port the exhaust and clean up the intake runners. If this is for a 5.0 I suggest you leave the intake ports alone except to clean up any casting flaws. The exhaust ports should get a complete overhaul however, paying special attention to the roof of the port to make it as smooth and continuous as possible. You should cleanup the bowl area behind the valve, remove the air injection hump, and blend everything smoothly together. If you have headers compare the header port size to the exhaust port size with a gasket or cardboard template, what you want to do is match the two, which won't necessarily mean opening up the exhaust ports to the full gasket dimensions. Remove material on the walls and roof of the ports but don't worry too much about the floor as most exhaust flow will follow the roof.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
So much catching up to do... so little time. beer emoticon

OK.. what do you need to know? You can do quite a bit to the stock heads, and they will respond and give you more power. As stated.. for the cost of new valves and the machine work necessary to have them installed you can pick up some used GT40's, so that's not money well spent IMO. You can make the stock heads work better for the cost of a carbide bit($20), all it takes is a weekend or two of your time and some patience to port the exhaust and clean up the intake runners. If this is for a 5.0 I suggest you leave the intake ports alone except to clean up any casting flaws. The exhaust ports should get a complete overhaul however, paying special attention to the roof of the port to make it as smooth and continuous as possible. You should cleanup the bowl area behind the valve, remove the air injection hump, and blend everything smoothly together. If you have headers compare the header port size to the exhaust port size with a gasket or cardboard template, what you want to do is match the two, which won't necessarily mean opening up the exhaust ports to the full gasket dimensions. Remove material on the walls and roof of the ports but don't worry too much about the floor as most exhaust flow will follow the roof.

Thanks guy. Ya I figured the enlargement of exhaust My gut is good just not a hipo man He'll do what I ask . Basically the question was what to throw in them . Valves rockers (roller what size? Do i need different push rods. ETC.) And cam I know as I ask you before.

As for GT40 I'd love to have em on thos truck also .I have a set I'm saving for my project truck (A little Crew cab ) . I lucked out and got a whole expo cheap . But ussually the heads r 2x The cost of redoing stock heads and that with 100000 + miles in my area . But I keep looking.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts