Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Water pumps lubrication

Hey guys,
I been reading about the water pumps on my 1952 newly rebuilt flathead V8. Sometimes i read about " packing the bearing " and sometimes it says " use engine oil " to lubricate the water pump. The small 1/2 inch square hole in the water pump above the shaft, is that where i put the oil?
Thanks Paul
below is a link to a picture of the square hole i'm asking about. The blue arrow is pointing to the hole and you can see the pump shaft in the hole.

photo.jsp

Last edited:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
No, on the 8RT/8BA late series flatheads that includes your EAB? the waterpumps used sealed, pre-lubed bearings.

That hole is for proof that the bearing has worn out and is leaking coolant.

The info on packing bearings is for the earlier flatheads. They were oiled by crankcase oil.

If you ever need new pumps, NAPA, Speedway, Sacramento Vintage Ford, etc carry excellent pumps.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
No, on the 8RT/8BA late series flatheads that includes your EAB? the waterpumps used sealed, pre-lubed bearings.

That hole is for proof that the bearing has worn out and is leaking coolant.

The info on packing bearings is for the earlier flatheads. They were oiled by crankcase oil.

If you ever need new pumps, NAPA, Speedway, Sacramento Vintage Ford, etc carry excellent pumps.

Wow that's cool.
But doesn't that mean if the pump went out it could start pumping water in to the crank case?

On the later fords...the leak will drip down the front of the engine. You see a leak there...time for a new water pump.

Look on yours TexasNomad. There is a small round hole there. I can't remember if it is on the top or bottom though. It has been a long time since I replaced a water pump.

His appears to be on the top, but I assume it serves the same purpose either way.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts