Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4.6 build

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Need a good book for putting one together, never played with an engine with so many parts.

Bottom end is together just need help on the rest of it...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Need a good book for putting one together, never played with an engine with so many parts.

Bottom end is together just need help on the rest of it...

Maybe check on Fleabay for a Ford one....they can be had cheaply.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I picked up one, but in all honesty, have no idea what I did with it. If you are confident in the lower end assembly, the top end is a BREEZE! I am back on a more steady basis if you have any questions.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Lower end only has 62k on it, came out of a wrecked cruiser. Just mainly looking for a guide. I know I can google just about all of it but being able to have a book to flip to such and such page is sometimes faster than the internet.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
This is one I used. Had good info for the most part, and good pics.
motobooks_2238_232371086

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So this pertains to the 4.6 currently in the car that I'm contemplating on building for use in the '65 fastback.

Is there a company that offers an electronic Hilborn style intake for the Mod motor?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I know they make a carb conversion for these motors, but not sure about converting to the Hilborn style.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Nor have I, and I've been searching all the Mod motor and Mustang boards...

Would be kinda cool on the Vic too, pop the hood and have eight individual throttle bodies with short velocity stacks...

Well depending on your plans you could go to crownvic.net and search for some builds and see what some say. I know if I had the time and the cash to back it up I would build a 5.3 stroker motor using the 5.0 modular block and DSS Racing stroker kit and making a custom twin turbo setup that I have designed but it would cost quite a pretty penny.
You could look at building a 5.4 and putting that in a car but if you want to stick with a 4.6 the best intake manifolds available are the Professional Products one and the Edelbrock Victor Jr. both are excellent and you can't go wrong with either. If you are wanting some different heads get the Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads and put a good sized cam if the pistons will clear, if not just get a mild cam and you should be alright for clearance.
I have not seen or heard of that setup on a 4.6, but if you have the ability to you could be the first to make it and possibly sell the idea to Edelbrock for mass production.
Good luck with the build.

Ford Truck Articles