Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Engines > Other Ford Engines

Old 05-07-2011, 12:09 AM
1st time ford

3/4 Ton Joe is on a distinguished road
How do I

I bought my truck this last winter, and I am trying to figure out what motor is in it. Friend of mine says its not the orginal motor and the one that is in it is out of a car, because it has 2 dipstick tubes one on each side.
Thanks in advance
Old 05-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Flatheads Forever

mtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Joe, welcome to FTF. More info would be helpful.

Year truck, etc.

Engine: count the valve cover bolts on one head and we can tell you which engine family it is. Multiple dipstick locations makes me think immediately of the Windsor line. You can find them in the block, oilpan and timing cover.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Texas Chapter Leader

Truckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond repute
a pic would be a big help.

Year would be a big help.

i assume 8 cylinder.

Not to be ignorant but could one of those dipsticks be a trans dipstick and the other engine oil?

Bacon is GOOD!

1995 F-250 "stock" 351winnie, zf5 and 37" rubbers....
(KIA)

Don
Old 05-08-2011, 11:19 AM
1st time ford

They truck is a 90 3/4 4x4 V8 big block from what it looks to me. For mtflat
Quote:
Engine: count the valve cover bolts on one head and we can tell you which engine family it is. Multiple dipstick locations makes me think immediately of the Windsor line. You can find them in the block, oilpan and timing cover
There are 8 bolts on the valve cover
19 i think on the oil pan
timing cover not sure if you meant the one the hold other things to it also.

Here are some pics

Thanks
Joe
Old 05-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
That's a 351M/400 (8 vc bolts and water neck loc). That is swapped in because it's about 7 years too late. Probably originally had a 460 in it and PO probably had 351M/400 lying around when the 460...and since it was bolt in (kinda) he got out of it as cheaply as possible. The 2 dipstick location is typically a tell-tale of a 2wd engine (out of car or truck) into a 4x4.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 05-12-2011, 09:47 AM
1st time ford

TY so much.