Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Superduties & Other Trucks > Superduty Gen.2

Superduty Gen.2 2008-2010 F250, F350, F450, F550

Old 02-29-2016, 06:39 PM

BANDAID is on a distinguished road
Turbo Problem 2008 F-450 Ambulance

We had an ambulance go down while on a call. It was sitting on the scene running and when the crew returned to the ambulance it had stopped running. The battery was still powerful to turn the engine over but it would not start. There was a image of a wrench beside the odometer. Had vehicle taken by roll-back to Ford dealer.

Service manager called and said it was the turbo pump and several other items involved. This unit is a 2008 F-450 Super Duty diesel and has only 41,000 miles on it. All routine service has been done on schedule.

Any ideas what may have caused this failure and are there any service bulletins out there concerning this issue. We have had a number of Ford ambulances in this area fail with the same issues.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2016, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

blacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDAID View Post
We had an ambulance go down while on a call. It was sitting on the scene running and when the crew returned to the ambulance it had stopped running. The battery was still powerful to turn the engine over but it would not start. There was a image of a wrench beside the odometer. Had vehicle taken by roll-back to Ford dealer.

Service manager called and said it was the turbo pump and several other items involved. This unit is a 2008 F-450 Super Duty diesel and has only 41,000 miles on it. All routine service has been done on schedule.

Any ideas what may have caused this failure and are there any service bulletins out there concerning this issue. We have had a number of Ford ambulances in this area fail with the same issues.
What size engine?(Econoline style is a 6.0, Truck style is a 6.4). There's no "turbo pump" on a 6.0. There's a fuel/turbo cooler pump on a 6.4. A wrench symbol is usually trans related or heat related. DTCs would help.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:38 PM

Blacksnapon, thanks for responding.

It has a 6.4 engine. It is a truck (ambulance chassis) Other than initial call from service manager I have no idea as to what the codes are. She said it was turbo pump. I will try to get clarification tomorrow. 5,000 labor and 1,700 parts. They better be correct in their diagnosis.

This vehicle was used in tornado recovery operations three days prior to going down. While on assignment it got stuck several times and a lot of stress was placed on engine and 4 wheel drive trying to free the vehicle. Don't know if that had any impact on the failure or not.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:58 AM

Here is the code they provided to me: P003

Pin Point - HPP Shorted out

The above is the best I could make out of the handwriting.

Parts:
9G805 B: COVER - FUEL PUMP
9T514 C: KIT - hARDWARE
9A332 A: TUBE - FUEL SUPPLY
9A332 B: TUBE - FUEL SUPPLY
9A543 DRM : PUMP ASY - FUEL INECTIO
Old 03-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

blacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like you had a high pressure fuel pump replaced. I can't help thinking that the "pass through wiring" in the cover gasket may have been the problem and they replaced the pump just because they were there. The gasket and wires have a tendency to short out against the pump. Later versions of the gasket had convolute over the wiring to prevent this. I replaced an engine in one military ambulance that came back because the Ford remanufacturer didn't put enough convolute on one wire that shorted anyway.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:17 PM

Thanks blacksnapon!

Wow, a $6,770.00 charge because an engineer/designer didn't think wires needed protecting. Every agency in our area has experienced some kind of major engine troubles with the Ford chassis. We thought we had "dodged the bullet" but alas we have had two major repairs. We like the Ford but all of the latest ambulances purchased have been Dodges,except for one that went with Kenworth.

I am surprised some group hasn't begun some kind of legal action such as the one involving the 6.0.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

remember, that is international engineering!
Old 03-03-2016, 06:14 PM

Is it now100% International design/engineering? Years ago they got in a pissing contest over the 6.0 I believe.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
The 6.7 Powerstroke is 100% Ford designed and built as far as I know

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDAID View Post
Is it now100% International design/engineering? Years ago they got in a pissing contest over the 6.0 I believe.
The early pre-turbo diesels all the way to the 6.4 were international engines. Navistar (international) was supposed to cover a portion of warranty costs, and they wouldn't citing that Ford exceeded design perameters by upping horsepower. So the law suits started. Ford then produced the 6.7 with some final tweaking by Bosch. The 6.7 was intended to have a 9 year shelf life. So, it'll be in Ford trucks at least until 2020.