Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > General Conversation

Old 01-31-2020, 03:30 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
adjust indirect hot water tank

Trying to figure out how to raise the "low side" temperature on my indirect hot water tank.

Conceptually, I know how this thing works...but I have no hands-on knowledge, and, more critically, know nothing of the vocabulary...so internet searches are not very productive.

Photo 1 is the overall system. Tired old boiler (1988) but it works OK; newer (2011) indirect hot water tank. Issue is that although the hot water is usually (barely) hot enough, if we go a long time (say 36 hrs) without using much (no showers, dishwasher, washing machine) it cools off to not much more than tepid. This may be compounded by the fact it's probably too big a tank for two people?

I assume this is that the low-side temp is set too low...an influx of cold well water will cool it off enough to kick in the circulator, but just ambient cooling it'll get cooler than I want before it starts the circulator?

Popped this cover off (photo 2) thinking I'd have a nice pair of dials to play with, but not so much...advice on how to address this? (Photos 3 and 4.)

I'm not hugely concerned with overall efficiency, and it's fine by me if the hot water gets hotter...not interested in anything that'll majorly disrupt the dynamic of this tired old boiler...it's worked like this for 30 years, and I'll suffer the occasional cool shower until I get around to having it replaced rather than hasten it's demise.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boiler - 1.jpg (143.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg boiler - 2.jpg (75.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg boiler - 3.jpg (125.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg boiler - 4.jpg (141.7 KB, 10 views)

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2020, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Why must the H2O heater be a part of the heating system for the house?

-A wise man learns from his mistakes; a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 01-31-2020, 10:41 PM

sbluke55 has a spectacular aura aboutsbluke55 has a spectacular aura about
First off what is the temp of the boil set at?
What did you set the temp at on the side arm (hot water tank)? I'm not 100% sure on the vocabulary either. So the dial you took a pic of should be the low point turn on. Set it to 120-140.

Last edited by sbluke55; 01-31-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:49 PM

Looking at the pic it's set to around 120 or a touch lower. Crank that thing up 20-30*.

It works like a trans cooler in a radiator. Hot water from the boiler (closed system and should be flushed every couple of years) runs through a coil inside the tank and gives heat to the incoming water and heats it up.
Once the temp of the water reaches X amount it shuts down the boiler and pump. You should have another one of those temp switches for the heaters too.

Last edited by sbluke55; 01-31-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:32 AM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyBilly9Mile View Post
Why must the H2O heater be a part of the heating system for the house?
It's a pretty common way to do it in this area, but I haven't put in the time to understanding why.

Might have something to do with the predominant fuel being #2 heating oil instead of gas- I'm not familiar with any oil-fired stand-alone water heaters like you see for gas. The options seem to be electric tank, indirect tank or direct/tankless...and I believe this has the lowest ongoing/operating cost of the three.

I also kind of like that it gives the boiler a reason to fire regularly year-round...maybe it's ok, but I doubt it would do that unit any good to sit idle for 6 months of summer- this way it runs regularly, but not for long, in the summer to heat water too.

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling

Last edited by john112deere; 02-01-2020 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:34 AM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbluke55 View Post
First off what is the temp of the boil set at?
What did you set the temp at on the side arm (hot water tank)? I'm not 100% sure on the vocabulary either. So the dial you took a pic of should be the low point turn on. Set it to 120-140.
EDIT: Hi side is ~172, low side ~152...and that's in the category of "probably don't want to mess with it on a system this old" for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbluke55 View Post
Looking at the pic it's set to around 120 or a touch lower. Crank that thing up 20-30*.

It works like a trans cooler in a radiator. Hot water from the boiler (closed system and should be flushed every couple of years) runs through a coil inside the tank and gives heat to the incoming water and heats it up.
Once the temp of the water reaches X amount it shuts down the boiler and pump. You should have another one of those temp switches for the heaters too.
OK, I'll crank it up a little and see if that helps. Thanks!

--Col. W.A. Roebling

Last edited by john112deere; 02-01-2020 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:29 AM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
On the system we had at the shop, I'm with Shawn. We had to flush the system about every 2 years. black stinky lumpy crap came out
We always knew it was time, as the hot water would stop being as hot.
The hot water tank needs to be drained and flushed as well, it gets sediment in it, and becomes a tank full of muck at the bottom, eventually causing it to rust through.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:07 PM

I like really hot water so I would crank it up to 150. But that's just me. If you do get it too high then it won't shut the boiler off. So it might take a little fiddling with. Hope it helps.

Last edited by sbluke55; 02-01-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:16 PM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
The one at the shop cycled pretty good at 145

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2020, 04:59 PM

So, did it work ?