Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > Garage and Tool Zone

Garage and Tool Zone Tool discussion, or anything pertaining to your garage.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:02 AM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Nice projects. Coming along nicely.
You can see a big difference in the quality of those 2 compared to the 150 I got last year and rebuilt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2020, 07:49 AM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
It seems to be in pretty good shape(mine and Grandpa's ) for being 50+ years old.
I believe this was the first new piece of equipment Grandpa ever bought...around the same time period he brought a 20 year old Ford dump truck home in pieces and once he got it put back together drove it to work every day. He knew how to take care of stuff right. (Which doesn't mean parts of it aren't 'mickey moused' together. Knowing how doesn't always mean doing- sometimes it 'costs money!' to do it right, but you can make it work for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
Nice projects. Coming along nicely.
You can see a big difference in the quality of those 2 compared to the 150 I got last year and rebuilt.
Still a lot of work to do...trying not to have them both torn apart at once, but once I get the new engine in mine, I need to tear the gearbox down in Grandpa's. For now I'm just cleaning and fiddling.

But yeah- they're well-built and generally pretty easy to work on. Enough of 'em built, and enough still around, that parts availability hasn't been a big issue yet, either. I picked up a pretty new Husqvarna for Mom last fall; need to drag it back up here for a comprehensive servicing, but it's not anywhere near the machine these are.

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 03-29-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Nice project Ian, it's fun using equipment you can't buy anymore, people stop, stare, and ask lots of questions!

-A wise man learns from his mistakes; a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 03-29-2020, 09:48 AM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
You'll find the husky is a lot of modern john deere. If you run into troubles with it, I can help, especially if it's the mechanical fuel pump on the side of the motor. Ditch that thing yesterday before it takes a poo and contaminates your oil, frying your motor..
I used a vacuum pump, and drove it off the same hole the mechanical pump was mounted too. Pics and a how to if needed.

Also some issues with the "automatic" that are easy to fix.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2020, 10:51 AM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud of
I like hearing the stories behind your machines as much as seeing the work being done on them.

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
Old 04-10-2020, 09:49 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
I've been continuing to work on this as time and energy allow...the Stay Home order makes it harder to get parts and materials, and some days I just don't feel like working in the evenings (I'm still working full-time, just home-based now).

But often I do crack a beer and go putter at it for a few hours, or more...and I've made some progress. The mower deck, plow blade, rear wheels and wheel weights are painted, and the fender deck is mostly painted. I'm not doing nice paint, but it looks ok from a distance and it'll keep it protected.

The thing was filthy- years and years of oil leaks and spills that collected dirt...I had half a mind to leave it that way and call it rustproofing, but I rolled it out in the driveway one sunny day and blasted off what I could with the hose and some Gunk.

Grandpa had found a pair of barely decent (but maybe better than he had) front tires at the dump, and since they were still mounted on rims and holding air, he just swapped them over. They didn't fit quite right but he made it work. Or perhaps I should say kind-of made it work. Sometime after he died but before we sold their house, I was using the tractor up there, and a front tire suddenly deflated. Some investigation showed that it didn't have quite enough clearance, and the tie-rod end had worn the valve stem right off.

I remounted the tire on the JD rim and reassembled (with lots of muttered cursing), but the other side was just a little better shimmed and so the wrong rim stayed on there. When I got it up here, that tire was very, very flat...so I bought a tube and figured to swap it over, until I realized the wheel bearings and center cap had gotten lost somewhere along the way. So I tubed it in the wrong rim and ran it that way for the winter.

Finally decided to do it up right this time- ordered the bearings (Timken from NAPA), and a pair of center caps off eBay, and remounted the stupid dry-rotted tire, and it's tube, on the proper rim. While I was at it, I repacked the bearings on the other side, and dropped and greased both spindles as well. Glad I did, as I realized the bearings were frozen in the "wrong" rim...doesn't seem to have hurt the spindle any.

I ordered a rebuild kit for the carburetor, too, so I pulled it off and gave it a quick soak. Actually looked better than I thought it might...we'll see if I can get it to run after I rebuild it. Carbs aren't really one of my strengths.

And then I decided to grease the PTO- partially because I know it has roller bearings in it that can be greased, and partly because removing it allowed me to remove other parts and clean more places.

I haven't taken the PTO off one of these in years, but I was pretty sure I remembered how. When it didn't seem to be working the way I thought, I checked the service manual and confirmed my memory. Huh. You're supposed to loosen the brake until the PTO will slide off...and you really don't want to go looser than you have to because it's a bitch to put back together if you take the screw all the way out.

Well, it wouldn't come off until the bolt came out...and when I got it, I could see why. The threads for the brake arm retainer screw had been stripped, and then repaired by welding a nut on top. The nut added too much thickness for it to drop the way it's supposed to. This was absolutely a classic Grandpa repair...but seeing the cause- the stripped threads that necessitated it be repaired was a little bit of a letdown. Here in my hand was evidence that the guy who taught me not to strip threads (or at least tried to teach me) had done it himself...

Wish I took a pic of it, but I didn't. The parts are pretty cheap on eBay, but it feels counter to his memory to replace a part that is or can be made serviceable. It was a bitch putting it back together, but it's not impossible and you don't have to do anything fancy- just a matter of lining it up just so at the right point in the assembly sequence.

Hopefully the FedEx man will bring me some new toys tomorrow and I can finish up the mower deck and get it out of my way.

'Course, the truth of the matter is that a lot of the clean and paint projects are my way of stalling so I don't have to tackle the next big project on this one...wiring. Pretty sure my best bet is going to be to build a new harness from scratch...and I don't think that sounds like even a tiny bit of fun.

After that I need to tear the gearbox down and see what's up in there...that's closer to fun than wiring, but it'll probably also cost me a small fortune...thinking I'll let that one wait until later in the summer. Need this thing out of the garage when the short block shows up for the other one in a few more weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 112T - 6.jpg (177.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 112T - 8.jpg (146.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 112T - 9.jpg (176.9 KB, 9 views)

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 04-10-2020, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
I can hear that last picture... and it's noisy

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 04-11-2020, 08:09 AM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

Ha- yeah, BTDT, but I didn't start it while the muffler was off.

Just took advantage of the fact it would come off easily to remove it and clean behind.

So much oily crud around there- mostly, I think, from the hydraulics.

--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 05-23-2020, 08:01 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

Progress by fits and starts...I haven't bothered to find a carb bowl gasket for it yet...once I get that sorted, it'll be ready to put the hood back on and be serviceable, kind of. Haven't bothered to sort wiring either, but we ran it for years as a two-pull starting tractor, which I wouldn't mind too much. Hopefully with a carb gasket it'll be back there. Transmission needs some work too- it's pretty loud; I bought a bunch of used gears on eBay, hoping a few might match what I need, then found a 214 parts tractor for sale last week. Bad motor, but allegedly the transmission is good. The wheel weights and halfway-decent seat were worth what I paid so it's no huge loss if it doesn't work.

But it's coming on mowing season, which means I've been focusing on the other Deere I have...which is the one I'm planning to put the mower deck on. Deck is ready to go- painted and stuck in the shed waiting for me to get one of these old girls running well enough to mount it up. In hindsight, I should've mowed Thursday before I started working on the other one.

I'm planning to use Grandpa's tractor for plowing in the winter and as a trailer-hauler in the summer; I'll set mine up with a mower deck for summer time, and (eventually) put the snowthrower on it for winter use. (Need a few more parts yet to make that happen.)

I guess I introduced this tractor above; it's the first mechanical thing that was mine, and the source of my username. Grandpa pulled it out of the parts heap behind his John Deere dealer in the late '90s- offered some small price ($100 or $150, maybe?), with the understanding if he couldn't get it running, he'd bring it back for a refund. He did a lot of the initial work on it, but I did some too- and once he brought it down to our house, I did a lot of work on it. Learned a lot, and made a lot of the stupid mistakes we all have to make.

I believe it's a 1969, and evidence suggests it was originally a patio series. For those unfamiliar, this was John Deere's marketing strategy to homeowners who thought the green and yellow clashed with their suburban homes- the patio tractors were white, and the hood and seat were offered in red, yellow, orange and blue. This one may have been blue. I don't think they sold all that well, and from what I can gather, a number were repainted by dealers before ever being sold. That may be what happened to this one, or not- whomever painted it did a nice job (engine came out, etc), but they painted the frame and engine black instead of green. Hood and fenders are green, wheels are yellow. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I actually prefer this color scheme to all green.

Notice the black with silver hood decals- that's a patio tractor style. The green ones had yellow with black decals on the hood.

I stripped the easy parts off and cleaned it up a bit over the past little while, trying to keep the boxes of parts and fasteners separate between the two.

I repainted it when I was 15 or so- and added some stickers that amused me. In keeping with my theory that human males stop maturing at 14 (we just get better at covering it from there on out), they still amuse me.

The original Kohler (at least I'm pretty sure it's original) in my '69 was tired. It's been tired, for years now...still ran ok, but she had a lot of blowby. Could've kept running her til she blew, I guess, but that's not my style...looked into costs of having it rebuilt, and ended up ordering a short block out of Ohio. Ordered it back in March, I think- and it showed up this week.

I rebuilt the carb a week or two ago, so it would be close to tuned when I put it on the new motor. Didn't seem ideal to be fighting a carb on a brand-new engine. Went better than the other one...took a few minutes to get it dialed in (carbs have never been my strong suit) but once I did it ran better than it had in a long time.

My new engine showed up earlier this week, and I pulled the old one out the other night. Lots of oily mess to clean up- quick clean and brush some black paint on the frame. I thought about doing it up right and putting really nice paint on it, but I just don't care that much. Brushed-on rustoleum will protect it from rust and that's good enough for now.

And that's where it sits for the moment...more cleaning and painting as I build up the new engine over the weekend. So far it's going well- I got the flywheel off with a very wrong puller, and the head came off without any fuss (although one stud didn't want to pop loose and I havent bothered to try very hard on it yet.)

Engine builder wants me to call when I'm setting up the governor to avoid an overspeed (not a warranty issue- they were quite clear) so I doubt I'll have it running before Tues or Wed next week...had to mow the front lawn with a push mower this morning. Shame, I got a JD deck all set to go- just nothing to put it on. (Well, I guess I could hang it on Grandpa's- best I can tell, it doesn't leak gas when it's running...)

--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 05-23-2020, 11:07 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
A lot of work, with some history!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!