Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New hybrid tires

Brought the truck in for a set of motormaster total terrain at2. Truck went up on the hoist, wheels came off, tires came off. Then they realized the tires I ordered weren't in stock. Even though the computer said they were. This is the second time this has happend to me at Canadian Tire. So they offered to upgrade me to a Cooper Discoverer a/tw. They gave me 25% off, and minus some $12 fee for each tire. They were more expensive, but not by much. This still came in under price I had in mind to spend. I made the desission kinda quick and didn't really look at the new tire before I gave the go ahead. When I got home and looked at the tire I thought. Oh crap I bought a winter tire. After reading up on the tire I was releved to find out it is a all season a/t but has the winter rating. They wear a little faster so tire rotating is important. It has good reviews and I can't wait to try them out in the slippery stuff.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool, keep us posted on how they work out.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just finished road trip from my place to minneapolis. 7 hours both ways. Truck felt planted. Road noise was minimal even when hitting speeds of 140km on the I35 into minny.

Nice....what pressure(s) are you running?...did you chalk them?

I'm not sure what pressure they are set at. I haven't checked them. Chalk them? I've never heard of chalking a tire. What is the purpose of that? Getting back to your previouse post Duncan, I'll definatly update as to the winter handling.

So I'm pleased to say that I love the tires. The biggest difference is in the stopping. The tires bite in amazingly well on snow covered roads which up here are pretty much all of them. Lots or rear tire spin still. Saying that even thought the rears still spin there seams to still be lots of control. When in four wheel drive its like the snow isn't even there. I also got a good break on the insurance bill because of the winter rating. Down fall. They wear fast.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm not sure what pressure they are set at. I haven't checked them. Chalk them? I've never heard of chalking a tire. What is the purpose of that? Getting back to your previouse post Duncan, I'll definatly update as to the winter handling.

Sorry, I missed this.
Chalking is simply using a piece of chalk to mark the tread from side to side...then go for a drive as you are normally loaded...maybe 10 miles or so...then look at the chalk...if there is still heavy chalk at the edges then the tire is overinflated...it's a guide.
People tend to look at the tire rating and fill it to the sidewall rating, trouble is they typically don't carry the weight...then the tires wear.

So I'm pleased to say that I love the tires. The biggest difference is in the stopping. The tires bite in amazingly well on snow covered roads which up here are pretty much all of them. Lots or rear tire spin still. Saying that even thought the rears still spin there seams to still be lots of control. When in four wheel drive its like the snow isn't even there. I also got a good break on the insurance bill because of the winter rating. Down fall. They wear fast.

Cool on the update.

Sorry, I missed this.
Chalking is simply using a piece of chalk to mark the tread from side to side...then go for a drive as you are normally loaded...maybe 10 miles or so...then look at the chalk...if there is still heavy chalk at the edges then the tire is overinflated...it's a guide.
People tend to look at the tire rating and fill it to the sidewall rating, trouble is they typically don't carry the weight...then the tires wear.

Cool on the update.

x2 not only do tires last longer. traction is much better.

Ford Truck Articles